I think I just killed all 38 of my eggs hatching help !

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sonew123, Apr 6, 2009.

1. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    ok yes Im a newbie--guilty--a few days ago I happened to look at my cheezy thermometer that came with my hovabator 1602N-it was inside with the eggs so was my expensive hygrometer/thermometer-so I mentioned to my husband what I saw! the chezzy thermometer read 110 degrees while the expensive one read 100.2--so for the last 3 days ish?? I left it and decided to ignore the cheezy thermometer-this morning I thought you know what Im going to put both temperture devices on top of the eggs and see what happens they both read 110 degrees!! Im on day 5 ish? are they all goners Did I cook the living crap out of all of them-should I just chuck the whole batch? I turned the heat down on it and opened the vents to get rid of some heat! I want to cry!!! I want to cry!!!! I should have trusted the cheezy one!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]: hit [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    There is naught you can do other than let them go a few more days and candle to see if any veining has happened. I've had thermometers read wacky and the hatch turn out fine.

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    My heart is coming out of my chest! I hope its wrong but the temps both say 106 now..since I turned it down...i feel like im going to puke!!! ahhhhhhhh

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    made a mistake today is day 7 for 13 of them day 5 for the rest!!!

5. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

Oh, believe me when I say that I understand. Unfortunately, you will have to wait a day or so and see if you can see movement, or a couple of days and see if the veins are still strong. It may make you feel better to candle sooner, but you may not be able to make any clear decisions about viability.

I am so sorry this happened. It drove me crazy for a couple of days when it happened to me, I kept checking for movement.

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    its down to 100.0 now but the humidity is up to 50% still..im so brutally sad..I paid for half those eggs and half were from my 3 hens!!! uhhh [​IMG] I feel like I killed so many little lives!! thank you for talking to me!

7. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    Don't beat yourself up and don't give up on them just yet. You might try to candle them and see if anything is still growing and then check them again in a couple of days. [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] sending you good hatching vibes. [​IMG]

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I never did see veins-I candled a few last night not realizing where the temp was and saw nothing-so I dont know if any were viable from the get go! I think I will wait a few more days and candle to see anything-I did see dark spots at the fat end of the egg-but I think they are the yolks Im seeing...my eggs are mostly brown with 4 green and 2 pink didnt see any sign of life in those .. [​IMG]

9. Roosteroops

Roosteroops Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Don't feel bad - I'm pretty sure I've done the same thing - and for the exact same reason. I'll find out in 10 days if I have a chick or two or putrid eggs! We are all learning I guess!

10. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I wish you the best of luck!!! I knew I should have paid more attention..I got arrogant..My temp was a perfect 100.2 for 3 days humidty was perfect-so I left it just glancing at the temps a few times day..I thought this is easier than I thought-NOT--oh I wont beat myself up too bad im sure Ill be ok in a few days but for now I feel like Im in mourning..im keeping them in the bator though JUST IN CASE!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by