I think I just may have a rooster.... HELP me figure it out!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by daisydo, Aug 24, 2013.

1. daisydo

daisydo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2013
    Georgia
    I thought I had 3 hens, 2 Australorps, and 1 RIR/Amer. mix... The Australorps are a little over 4 months old, and the other one is 2 months old.. I love them all, but the big one (that I'm now thinking is a rooster) is my favorite.. Her name is Viv (may have to be changing that to "V") I know I"m not suppose to have a favorite, but I can't help it.. lol She, or he lets me hold her, and she loves me. I've had them since they were about 3wks old..
    I'm adding to my "flock", I got 2 Buff Orpingtons on Thursday.. They are 2 days old..
    Can you help me determine roosters or hens??? THANKS a bunch ! The one in the 2/3/4 p;ic is Viv.. The red one in the first pic is Little Bit, and the other Australorp is Loretta
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

To me the bird on the right in the third pic clearly has saddle feathers (cockerel).

1 person likes this.
  3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Agree the Australorp on the right in the picture with both of them looks to be a rooster.

1 person likes this.
  4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The little red bird is a roo, and honestly both the black birds in the third pic look like roos to me. Can you get better pics of them?

1 person likes this.
  5. daisydo

daisydo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2013
    Georgia
    Oh no!!! Here this whole time I thought I had 3 hens.. lol Oh well, 2 will have to go back to my friends flock.. Guess I'll wait a little longer, as they are hard to part with!!!! I really love them, talk to them everyday! I wasn't gonna have any roosters, just hens for pets, and eggs. But now I'll have to keep one, and it'll be Viv. I just love her, well him.. He comes up to me, and lets me hold him, and comes to the back door looking for me when I let them outta the coop. What's the best way to pick out girls next time? The 2 Buff Orpingtons I just got were guaranteed to be girls by the feed and seed store. But they were only 2 days old, so how can they guarantee that?
    Thanks for everyone's imput, I really appreciate it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by