1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think I just saw a chicken cry

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Dapplepony, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Dapplepony

Dapplepony Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Dear old Daisy is about ready to join her sister Scout in chicken heaven, so I brought Bridget over to say good bye. Bridget clucked softly a few times, then looked at me, and I saw the tears welling up in her eyes because she knew Daisy was dying. I stroked her gently and Bridget went under the horse trailer. I don't know if chickens really can cry, but to me, Bridget was crying.

ETA: RIP Daisy. We love you so very much.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    so sorry about your hen.
    [​IMG]

3. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    i just teared up reading this.so sorry.

4. calvincoop

calvincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    That breaks my heart. People that think a chicken doesn't have feelings are so ignorant. So sorry about your girl.

5. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    I agree, I had a hen that went to heaven.
    She had a best friend that would always be by her side. The day after she died, her buddy looked EVERYWHERE for her friend. I felt so bad. they really loved each other.

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    How sad.

7. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

Animals grieve. Maybe not like we do, but they feel loss.

This was my 19 year old Saddlebred, Stanley standing watch over the Spot that he last saw his best friend, Daisy when she had to be pts. He stood there calling for two days.

We finally sedated him out of compassion and concern for his health...

[​IMG]

8. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

That is so sad. [​IMG] I too, believe that ALL animals have feelings, no matter what others may think. Poor Stanley, its so very sad. [​IMG]

9. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011

Wow, that's so sad, but also very beautiful.

10. X2. I am so sorry. I do think they can feel, show emotion, and understand. This just breaks my heart to hear your pain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by