1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think I just took care of that pesky cat.....

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ThinkingChickens, Jul 17, 2011.

1. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    for now! I remembered when we were training a cat years and years ago to stay off the table we put sticky tape on the table. This neighbor feral cat keeps hopping the six foot fence and walking along the walk in run. Now, the run isn't complete so it's especially dangerous to the chicks right now (they are covered, but still). So, I took masking tape and put strips face up on the top beam, then I Just taped around the top and the bottom to secure it.

Was doing dishes and saw the cat pop on over. Seems she/he always comes around this time. Her paws hit that tape and she shot back over the fence like a cannon and ran all the way to her house and in the doggy door. Caught a dumb fly too. Hmm, that might hold her at bay while we finish the run!

2. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    [​IMG] cats also hate water sprinklers!

3. Balefire

Balefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Orwigsburg PA
    Quote:What a great idea [​IMG]

4. mikensara

mikensara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    New York
    wow that is a great idea will keep that in mind if we have any of our cats try to get in. maybe I can try that on the top of the hamster cages [​IMG]

5. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Now THIS is something I can use! [​IMG]

6. dancingsquirrel

dancingsquirrel Out Of The Brooder

That is perfect! Great idea!

7. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    This is a pretty genius idea! I sure hope it works well for you!

8. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    That sounds like something I might have to try. Our neighbors' cats keep coming over our six foot fence to check out our 5 week old chicks and I have been having to keep our dog in the back yard during the day to guard them (the chicks are locked in the coop at night). After being chased back over the fence more times than I can count I am surprised the cats keep coming back! Our fully enclosed run is almost finished though so only a few more days of guard dog duty are needed...lol [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by