I think I killed the chick!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 3CutiesMama, Aug 10, 2014.

1. 3CutiesMama

3CutiesMama New Egg

Jun 11, 2014
    So, it was day 29 and I figured none of the eggs were good. I wanted to see if any of them were fertile and when I busted one open (gently) there was a live chick in it. CRAP! So, knowing only what I know you're supposed to do with newborn puppies, I rubbed it gently with a warmed up towel and it opened it's mouth a few times. It's so tiny, I can't really tell if it's heart is beating or not. But there is still what I think is a ball of umbilical cord attached to it. So, is it underdeveloped? Dead? I have it wrapped up in a towel under a heating pad on the couch next to me. Don't really know where to go from here, or what I should expect to see if it's alive. Suggestions?

2. Oh no!!! I have had the exact same thing happen before, and I am so sorry! [​IMG]

If it was day 29, the chick is probably dead. It sounds as if your problem is humidity. If your humidity is to high, the chick can actually drown in the egg. If it is too low, the chick will stick to the shell and not be able to come out.

Keep trying! [​IMG]

3. 3CutiesMama

3CutiesMama New Egg

Jun 11, 2014
    I'm probably going to make myself sound really stupid here but, we have the nest outside in the coop... it's been very, very humid here in Indy so maybe that's the problem. I took 2 of the 9 eggs out of the nest. Maybe I should leave the rest in there a couple more days? The hen is being very protective of the nest, so I assume she knows better than me and there are probably a few more chicks. I guess I wait... Thanks for the info though! This is our first try at chicks so any information is greatly appreciated!!!

4. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    The egg was probably layed after she started sitting the nest (IE, it's not really 29 days old). Some hens will lay into a clutch when the broody gets up to stretch/go the bathroom/etc.

My advice is generally this : worry about stuff if you're incubating. If you have a hen sitting on the eggs, let her worry about stuff.

5. Oh, sorry! I thought the eggs were being incubated! [​IMG]

Yes, in that case I agree with CrazyTalk: let the hen worry about it. The hen knows exactly what to do. She can actually "talk" to her chicks inside the egg and know if they are too hot, cold, or humid! She also knows the best time to turn the eggs to keep them from sticking to the shells!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by