I think I know now. But I would like to know from the experts!!

Yes, they are a Barred Rock, and hatchery Rhode Island Red. But Aracaunas have no tail and have ear tuffs. They look like Easter Eggers (hybrids that still contain the blue egg gene).

Last edited:
Your barred rock is not a barred rock. Barred Rocks have yellow feet. Mine are so yellow, they are almost orange. Cuckoo Marans have white/pink feet.
They don't have to be. Mine are Barred Rocks, and they have the same shade. Marans have a lighter leg shade than the pic shown, and their barring is less prominent.

So how can you tell the difference between a Rhode Island Red and a Production Rhode Island Red?
Quality Rhode Island Reds have deep mahogany red, iridescent plumage through out their bodies. Production Red a very broad category of hybrid, red-feathered layers of brown eggs, like Red Sex-Links, New Hampshires, or hatchery Rhode Island Reds (Rhode Island Reds that are do not have the quality plumage, usually a lighter shade). As you can see, your bird has lighter plumage, and also has a black tail, which is a characteristic of the a pure Rhode Island Red, is slightly different, and is very upright. The legs and feet are a bit too light, too. Poor girl! I can see she's missing some toes; frostbite?

Basically, it's just comparing the Standard characteristics of the breed to what you have. This is a pure Rhode Island Red. It's pretty easy to see the difference:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom