1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think I lost my mind.I built a model of my coop to be.pics have fun

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TheJuan-n-Only, Feb 17, 2011.

1. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    Ok, so I think I lost my mind. I joined BYC about 5 months ago thinking that by this spring I would be able to have a house and with that I would make a nice chicken coop and walking run for 5 or 6 birds. Well the house wont happen for a while so I we will be renting one for a little while. With that the Coop and walk in run plans changed to a tractor. After searching here I found BYC member MAllen's page ( https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=39717-how-to-build-a-brood-pen ). The rental home is very frustrating since we have 2 big dogs and I want/need a big backyard. So the building of the tractor keeps getting pushed back. In order not to loose my mind I decided to build a tractor model! (I needed to build something!! lol) Think of the frame as 2x4's and it will be aprox 4'Wx8'Lx4'H

My Fiance thinks I lost my mind!!! lol (Have I!!!?)

I'm making some changes to the original plans. I'm adding outside nest boxes and a roof on the entire thing since I live in FLA :eek:)...hardwire on the bottom since I wont be able to dig in, will be adding sand to the entire thing for easy clean up, no roost on the model but I wil have a roost 2' off the ground....did I miss anything? (you may want to look at the original since my "model" is a mess! lol). Would 3 birds be "comfy" in there?

Lets starts this madness:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Walls up, door opens lol

[​IMG]

view from top

[​IMG]

oops forgot nest boxes

ok boxes done

[​IMG]

Roof on:

[​IMG]

the back....nest boxes open! lol

[​IMG]

Did I mentioned I've never built anything, not even a model before...then again I'm sure you can tell by now!!! Hope you had fun with my madness!!

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Just wanted to mention you forgot the wire and the chickens are going to get out. [​IMG]

3. GeneJordan

GeneJordan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2011
    Arnaudville, La
    when you got the bug... you got the bug

4. TheJuan-n-Only

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    Quote:Is ok paddock I have time, I've looking for micro bantam chicks and still can't find any! lol [​IMG]

5. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    Quote:[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

apart from that I think the real coop will look great....this is how you know you are hooked!!!! Welcome to Chicken Anonymous [​IMG]

6. stuckinthecity

stuckinthecity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    LOVE! I just can't believe I haven't done this before... [​IMG]

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

If you have lost your mind, so did I, last Summer. Here is the cardboard model *I* built of the coop I later constructed (pretty much like the model, as a matter of fact....)
    [​IMG]

8. Kathryn4629

Kathryn4629 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Colbert, WA
    That is great!! [​IMG]

Why didn't I think of building a model? Now that I think of it I could cut out pieces that are the size of a sheet of plywood (but miniature of course) to start [​IMG]

It looks good to me, especially if you are only having 3 chickens in there. Are they going to free range?

9. TheJuan-n-Only

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    Quote:hahahaha, I feel so much better now!!!! Thanks!!! The real thing should be easy to build...I hope lol

10. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    I couldn't get cardiology. Couldnt recall which valve went where?

DH bought me a set of clay. I made 14 hearts. Real ones, with the valves in the right places and the vessels going their special ways.

Now I adore my patient's heart sounds, I can really tell what's going on every time I take a listen, and it is an act of love and fascination.

One day I heard a funky beat. I asked her, "do you want to tell me about your rythmn? Nice beat, easy to dance to, but...."

She said "Nobody's ever noticed it but you. I was born with my heart missing the right ventricle, and it's in there backwards. I was a blue baby. I'm a miracle." She is 23.

I bet your model will lead you to your miracle. "To be, Do." was a bumper sticker I saw once, and it stuck with me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by