I think I love turkeys... PICS added

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by sara, Apr 20, 2009.

1. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Who knew baby turkeys were so stinkin cute. I'm currently in a hatch of BR turkeys from Sandspoultry for my dad. The first two are out, and so cute! I can't stay away from the incubator. I think I am going to have a hard time giving them to my dad. I guess I'll have to order more eggs for myself. lol I can't wait to share pictures of these once the hatch is complete. I called my dad when the first one hatched earlier today and he sounded very excited. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I want turkeys so bad, but I am afraid of getting babies! I have heard they are very fragile, and I know I'll kill them! [​IMG] Good luck, maybe your dad will let you keep a few? [​IMG]

4. EngieKisses

EngieKisses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    Collinsville, Oklahoma
    They are not that hard to raise, we used warm water for ours until they went outside, for the first week they had vitains in their water and we feed them game starter for their first 3 months. We started two, showed them their food and water everyday the first week. They are still alive and well.
    They had their own new brooder, so no possibility of shared germs, and their own new food and water containers. We washed our hands very well before and after we did anything for them. They are now in their outside home that has half wood roof run and a tarp over the rest so they will not drown in the rain. They are 10 weeks old now, and huge.

5. sara

sara Title Needed Here

8 babies out, 4 more eggs to go. I see at least three pips. The other egg is to far back to see. [​IMG]

6. mooman

mooman Dirty Egg Eater

Apr 9, 2008
    Marietta, SC
    I've found the first week with the poults has been even easier than chicks (not a single case of pasty butt). They started eating and drinking without any help from me and have needed no other special attention (although they certainly get enough with as cute as they are)

7. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Mine were from a disaster hatch and even then they're making it. Vitamins and electrolytes and they've been otherwise pretty much the same - well except for the time they've been spending in my shirt, in my hands and in a blanket next to me on the couch... But that would be confessing.

8. spydertoys

spydertoys Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Munfordville, Kentucky
    I take a couple of my chicks that are a couple weeks old and use them as trainers. The chicks teach the poults where to find the food and water.

I do the same thing with newly hatched baby chicks when I can..use a trainer to show them what baby chicks are supposed to do. I never have to "dip" a chicks beak. And I don't lose any because they couldn't figure it out. They are so curious by nature that they do what the others are doing.

9. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Sara,
    That's good for shipped eggs! We were hoping you had a good hatch for your Dad (how is he by the way?) Can't wait to see the pics.

Steve

10. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Steve~ He is doing fine right now, keeping himself busy and preoccupied with his garden. He goes in for surgery on May 4th.

I think there are two more just about out, so that will bring the total up to 10. I know 12 of the 14 were good at about day 7 but didn't check them since then. I figured if I had 4-6 to give him that would be good. He just told me I have to keep a couple because he doesn't have room for 10. lol I'm thrilled with how good the hatch has been. Thank you!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by