I think I made a big error!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by oesdog, Nov 3, 2014.

1. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Last March our lovely cat teddy passed away he was 16 yrs old. My DH and teddy were best pals and never far from each other. DH has his ashes and says he wants buried with his cat. - when Teddy died DH put himself to bed and cried and cried. It was really upsetting. After that we gave a lot of Teds things away to the cats protection. That made Dh feel a bit better. We still kept a few things thinking one day we may see another cat we might home.

Anyhow about 3 weeks back DH asked if we could go back to the Cats protection place. I know he has been very low and missing teds. So I said yes we can look. Well I took myself off to play with some kittens and then there was this little Voice - "he is lovely can I take him home?" It was a 3 yr old male (long hair tabby cat!) ohhhhhh no my heart sank because to be honest I didn't really want us to get another one just yet as I wanted to take time to go away with DH now our disabled lad is going into supported living. But felt I should because he is upset without one and he got me a new Old English pup when my Murphy died on me. So of course I said yes.

We went through all of the home checks etc and were allowed to pick up the cat about two weeks ago. He was great for a few days but was not peeing properly. Only 50 pence size wee wee in his cat tray. I said it was not right but DH was defensive and said I was "finding fault with him?" - Anyhow took him to the Vet and he had a urine infection. Spent more money sorting that one out and were told he might have cristals in his wee and we might have to put him on a special diet for life? ( I am thinking ok how much will this cost me?) Man and Cat happy again took them home. Then sat on my seat and got a wet bum! Since then the darling thing has not stopped weeing on my sofa! which I have had to strip down and wash near daily and if I put stuff over it to protect it he wees on the floor. He has not gone outside yet as the CPL said not to let him out for 4 weeks? He has been using his tray most days but if it is at all dirty he looks elsewhere. - usually my sofa (near stretched his neck tonight!) I have spent a lot of time and money making a lovely home here and feel disapointed that it is going to get destroyed by a creature!

I am getting fed up with the animal, I am upset and frustrated as I so wanted it to behave and all I can smell is cat pee - Darn! DH just said I should "love on him!" Should I get DH to take the thing back? Would that be really cruel? I am fed up with cleaning poo and wee up and had thought when our disabled son left home yupee no more mess now I have a cat with a puncture? and a DH who has lost his sense of smell !!!!! I have sprayed everything again with pet de-oderizer but I just want to cry because we HAVE A CAT! DH cries when we don't - I have grown to HATE CATS! Wish our Teds was back! Darn why do the good ones die!

Help what to do????? [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  2. Bessetti

Bessetti Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2014
    Vermont
    First of all, I'm sorry for your loss of Teddy.

Our shelter cat had a similar problem with crystals in his urine. His special food is not very expensive at all!!

I wouldn't send the cat back. That seems cruel... He just lost a cat and to lose the replacement would just be too much.... Maybe it would make sense to invest in an automatic cleaning litter box and to cat proof the furniture. I'm sorry you're having a hard time with the cat though. :hugs

3. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    There are a few things I am thinking may help the situation. I'm sorry you are having to deal with this though!

First, try setting out a few litter boxes. Make sure they are not covered. The bigger, the better. In fact, rubber maid boxes without lids and a hole cut in the side work quite well and male cats seem to like them because they can pee on the sides.

It may also work to separate him into a room to get him used to the house and using his litter box. That way he won't be able to pee on your things and he'll be more inclined to use the box.

You could also try using different litters or ask the shelter what they used. Some cats are finicky about that. It may also be possible that the urinary tract infect is making him uncomfortable and that is the reason he is peeing on furniture. You could ask the vet of he/she thinks you may need to try a different antibiotic.

I know how frustrating pets can be when they are having accidents in the house! I do think he is still new to your house and stress of a new environment can certainly cause cats to pee outside the box! I would maybe give it some more time.

2 people like this.
  4. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Thanks - I am trying to get used to him. [​IMG]
    DH and I were talking and both said maybe we made a mistake - ? Then Dh bought him a "Christmas collor and booked him into the cattery for our next break in January." Guess he didn;t think it was that big a mistake? But then he doesn;t Pee on DHs sofa just mine! - Darn [​IMG]

Actually I am loving on him - mostly round the NECK area with a firm grip! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    [​IMG]

Ok I relent - he thinks he lives here now anyway! [​IMG]Thats the Dog basket - he doesn't pee in that he just steals it from the dog![​IMG]

6. Amina

Amina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    The pee everywhere is a symptom of urinary tract infection. I would take him back to the vet, as the first round of antibiotics probably didn't clear it completely up. Good luck and I'm sorry you're going through this!

7. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    He did get to the vet and antibiotics. He is fine now and for the last while has not misbehaved especially now he is regularly going out to the yard.

Dh is real happy with him and our disabled boy loves him too. THe dogs get on great with him as well . It is like he has always been here!

Dare I say it [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

He is lovely.

Oes - I love him all is fine!

8. Amina

Amina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    I'm so glad you got the problem cleared up!

9. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Another thought- one of mine pees in inappropriate locations when he gets stressed out. Perhaps the transition was hard on him and that was the cat's solution? If so, perhaps you are good to go now.

You are a good woman for getting your guy a cat when you didn't want one. :)

10. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Well - he was so upset when Teddy passed away and the place was not quite the same without one.

DH has always had a cat and so it was very hard on him without one. We have had a lot of trouble health wise and all sorts this last few years so it is only right to get ourselves things that enhance our lives. Dh and Teds were very close indeed and he was good to me when Murph died ( My avatar) and got me a new pup.
    THis was Bailey when he first came home.

[​IMG]
    This is DH with Teddy not long before he died.
    [​IMG]

They were sharing breakfast! DH spoils our cat! The new one is spoiled too!
    What can I say Dh loves cats and his face lights up when he has one. DH has been through such a lot even last week he had to have 8 injections into his spine.
    Having his little friends helps somewhat and our disabled lad loves to stroke the cat too. So everyone is happy - and the sofa ....................... UGH [​IMG]

Oes

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by