I think I may be crazy... I just set more eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tls_ranch, Sep 27, 2010.

1. tls_ranch

tls_ranch Stares at Chickens

I lost my favorite pullet a few days ago. She was the only one that LOVED to be picked up and held. I think a coyote or some neighborhood dogs got her as I found a trail of her feathers leading to the fence line. [​IMG] She loved our dogs and wasn't afraid. I think it made her an easy target.

For the past four days, I've been looking at her last two eggs sitting on the counter trying to decide if I should try and hatch them. I was worried because they are a bit small as she just started laying about a month ago.

I kept telling myself:

1)My husband is going to be mad.... I told him I wasn't going to hatch any eggs until next year. Vacation is coming up, lots of projects to do and such.
    2) I don't want to deal with growing out chicks in the winter
    3) Do I really need more chickens??? My coop is pretty much too full at this point.
    4) Odds are not good that they'll hatch and my luck if they do I'll get roos and not pullets.

I finally broke down and set her two 2 eggs (plus 10 more from the rest of my flock) Gotta have hatch mates right? [​IMG]

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I'd have done exactly the same thing, but I think I've already established I AM crazy (in other posts). I don't have anyone here to tell me "Don't do that!"

I'm so sorry for the loss of your favorite hen, but I'm also so very glad you had some of her eggs to try to hatch!!!
    [​IMG]

3. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    1)My husband is going to be mad.... I told him I wasn't going to hatch any eggs until next year. Vacation is coming up, lots of projects to do and such.
    Yeah I lie like that too LOL!

4. tls_ranch

tls_ranch Stares at Chickens

Quote:Hey, I tried. I had the bator clean, boxed and taped up. I even put it on the highest shelf in the garage so that I wouldn't even see it. [​IMG]

Oh well, when my DH came home from work last night he wasn't too mad. He just kind of gave me a look and shook his head a bit. [​IMG]

5. LaurenM23

LaurenM23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    King George, VA
    You bet he kept on walking...since you've got the incubator fired up, YOU are the broody hen! He so much as looks the wrong way in your eggs' direction, he's getting pecked! [​IMG] So glad you had some of her eggies to try! Good pullet vibes coming your way!!! [​IMG] <-pullet vibes dance

6. Biddylover

Biddylover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Tennessee
    [ [​IMG] <-pullet vibes dance] my thoughts exactly [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by