I think I may be in school forever!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by BarefootMom, Sep 25, 2011.

1. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    So I sat down today to figure out a graduation date for me. I feel so old. I am currently a student at Ozarks Technical Community College pursuing an associates of arts in Teaching. Then my plan is to go to Missouri State University for my Agriculture Education degree (BS). I will graduate from OTC December 2012 and will have most of my gen eds finished, If I have everything planned out I might be able to graduate from MSU in the spring of 2015---right before my 30th birthday!

After this semester I will have over 60 credit hours (useless classes from changing my major 5 time! lol) so I will be getting my license to substitute teach. (In Missouri you only need 60 credit hours and a clean record) So hopefully I can get a job here in Half Way and work part time or become an aide or something. My oldest just started preschool this fall and my youngest will start next fall. The way i have it planned out my oldest will be in 1st grade and my youngest in Kindergarten when I graduate from MSU. Seems to work out pretty well.

Life is crazy isn't it?

2. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    Only thirty? You're just a young'un. [​IMG] Seriously, though, it's very cool that you're pursuing your dream. It may seem like a long road ahead now, but I'm willing to bet that you'll find that it's worth it. [​IMG]

I'm 41, and want to go back to school again for my Ph.D (it'd be my fifth degree - I'm a degree collector). Whenever I say, "but think of how old I'll be when I graduate," my friend and mentor who is encouraging this asks, "and how old will you be if you don't?" He has a point!

3. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Go you! I'm in a similar boat. I decided to return to school to become a clinical psychologist, and started classes in Spring 2010. I needed four semesters to put together a bachelor's in psychology, but then realized I needed a little more "school time" to get other stuff done to put on my resume for grad school applications, so I declared a double-major in physical anthropology. I'll be graduating in May 2012, then I'm moving to NJ and taking a year off to do an internship (gotta find one....) and prepare for my grad school exams before applying to Rutgers for my doctorate. If I get in, I'm looking at another 5-6 years of school and clinical training. If I don't get in there, I'll have to count on one of my back-up schools, move to wherever that will be, and begin there. So I'm looking at being done with school in 2018 (or 2019)...when I'll be 42 (or 43 years old). I'm 35 now. But you know what? In 2019 I'll be 43 anyway, so it may as well be with a doctorate rather than without. And the same goes for you -- in 2015 you'll be 30 whether you finish school or not, but wouldn't it be better to have finished?

Good luck!!!

[​IMG]

4. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    I was 39 when I finally finished my four year degree. Took my first college class at age 17 when I was still a senior in high school. It was a long and winding road...: )

5. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

That's awesome you are presueing your dream!!! way to go, I always say if I struck it really rich.. I would go back to school.. Hire a house manger.. To organise, the pool guys and the lawn cutter, go shopping, cook meals, do laundry.. you know, Most things I do already.. (Exect I cut the grass and have no pool)

Then I would go to school for ever.. There's so much to learn.. I would probley take way longer to complete a degree!! Your so lucky to have the chance to do it!! Can't wait till kids are all in school, then maybe I can afford to go back!! Great job, your doing!!

6. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    Quote:truthfully we can't really afford it. lol, but I don't see us making any money without me working so right now I am stay at home mommy/ full-time student/ farmwife. lol I do all my classes at night and online through OTC and everything is paid for through grants at this time. When I go to MSU I will have to get student loans. I started college in 2004 but then quit a year later- got married in 2006 and had our son in 2007. Sophia was born May 2009 and I decided in July of 2009 that I was going back to school so I can hopefully start working once the kids are in school.

7. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Oh I feel the same way! I'll be finishing my bachelors this December. I want to go to vet school, but it will take about a 1 1/2 years to 2 years to apply. Then vet school is probably about 5 years. I will probably be about 29 or 30 until I can work on my own. I know this is normal, but that seems like a really longgg time!

8. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:truthfully we can't really afford it. lol, but I don't see us making any money without me working so right now I am stay at home mommy/ full-time student/ farmwife. lol I do all my classes at night and online through OTC and everything is paid for through grants at this time. When I go to MSU I will have to get student loans. I started college in 2004 but then quit a year later- got married in 2006 and had our son in 2007. Sophia was born May 2009 and I decided in July of 2009 that I was going back to school so I can hopefully start working once the kids are in school.

Oh my, it must be really tuff, trying to do all that right now!!

I still think you are doing great and You are my inspartion.. Even if things aren't that easy... Your doing it!!! Such a long time away I realize.. But your ding something about it.. It not like someday, I will have this.. It's on "This day" I will be done!! Your kicking butt!! Keep Going!!!

9. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Wow the four year course i want to do makes me think i well be young when i get out of collage. I well be about 23 when i get out of collage. Right now i plan on going in the nuclear medicine field, not sure if i want to go in ultra sound or X-ray though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by