I think I may be in trouble..... Humidity Issues

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wrestling_mom, Jul 25, 2011.

1. wrestling_mom

wrestling_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC
    I am on day 14 with chicken eggs, and I candled for air cell size. The air cell seems to be between the size of 7 day and 15 day. It is VERY humid here, we don't have central air or anything fancy, lol, just fans to keep us cool. The humidity in the LG consistently says between 50-60 percent. The air cells seem to confirm that. 8 eggs are due for lockdown soon, and I don't want them drowning or shrink wrapping. What can I do??

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Sorry, wish I had something to tell you... The heat element in the incubator dries the air out a little, are you adding water? If you are, go completely dry. If you want it dryer still, maybe you could put some uncooked rice grains in a dish in there to absorb the moisture from the air? Just a wild guess, but hey, it could work, maybe? Keep us posted. Sorry you didn't get a reply sooner. I just now saw this thread.

3. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    If you're going into lockdown with excess moisture still in the egg, you might want to try hatching in egg cartons. Some people think that keeping the egg still and not letting it move around is the best way of making sure the chick is less likely to get stuck beak down in the fluid and drown. I'm not sure how correct this is though, as although I do carton hatching and I prefer it for its tidiness, I've never had to deal with overly humidified eggs. Sorry I can't be of more help. Maybe ask some opinions on carton hatching and see what other people think...

4. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Quote:I would have never thought about the rice, I see it all the time in salt shakers, at restaurants, but never would have thought of that, that may work........I would try it.

5. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Quote:I would have never thought about the rice, I see it all the time in salt shakers, at restaurants, but never would have thought of that, that may work........I would try it.

Maybe get a pan or plate, and cover it with rice, then lay the eggs on it, I DON'T KNOW FOR SURE WHAT WOULD WORK, but it's worth a try, and if humidity is really that high outside, then dont add any water to the incubator.

6. wrestling_mom

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC
    Quote:I haven't added any water at all, and have them in cardboard egg carton bottoms this time

7. wrestling_mom

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC

Maybe get a pan or plate, and cover it with rice, then lay the eggs on it, I DON'T KNOW FOR SURE WHAT WOULD WORK, but it's worth a try, and if humidity is really that high outside, then dont add any water to the incubator.

I think I will try the rice idea. Let you all know what happens. Thanks!!

8. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Maybe find some old panty hose or fine netting and put the rice in that.

9. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I would say spread the rice out as wide as possible for the greatest surface area to absorb moisture from.

10. wrestling_mom

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC
    [​IMG] The humidity has RISEN!!!! Granted, it IS supposed to rain, but still........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by