1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think i may have a roo instead of a hen????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by asuchicken, Oct 18, 2011.

1. asuchicken

asuchicken New Egg

Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Thats a rooster.

3. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Roo for sure.

4. asuchicken

asuchicken New Egg

Oct 17, 2011
    thanks for the quick response! I cant believe the farmer lied to me! now i need to get rid of it. thanks again guys

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Well, in fairness, cross breeds can be trickier to sex sometimes. Perhaps the farmer intentionally misled you, perhaps he was just wrong. It happens.

6. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    I'll defend the farmer too. He told us the mixed breeds we picked were all pullets. Out of 15, 6 were roos. [​IMG] And, the ones that looked like possible roos early on, became hens and vice-versa. If it's any consolation, he's a handsome boy! [​IMG] Hope you find him a nice home.

7. asuchicken

asuchicken New Egg

Oct 17, 2011
    one other quick question. my chicken in the picture above does not crow. it does cluck, but no crowing. it does have bumps on her legs where spurs may be growing but i have no idea.?????

8. Little One

Little One Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    SE Virginia
    The upright stance (compared to hens), the large comb, and pointy long neck feathers, and longer drapey tail that I see in the pictures give this guy away. He should also have the long pointy saddle feathers, and most of these traits should be at least starting to show by 4-5 months old. So if you got him before then it could have been a mistake by the farmer. At the age he is now, they will have just bumps forming as the spurs slowly grow in. Kinda odd that he isn't crowing yet...and you haven't seen him courting or mating with any of your hens either? But yeah, it's a boy.

9. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    A rooster, without a doubt. He's a very handsome boy, too. Too bad he's already showing signs of meanness.

10. LovinChicknFarmn

LovinChicknFarmn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    North Carolina
    Major rooster. That comb and those wattles are GIANT!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by