I think I may have ISA Brown Roo's, will someone confirm

jlsease

In the Brooder
May 21, 2018
Bought 4 ISA brown pullets at tractor supply, but I think 3 of the 4 are roosters. They are 13 weeks and one has started attempting to crow.

Attachments

• IMG_20180521_110707.jpg
    IMG_20180521_110707.jpg
    923 KB · Views: 22
You don’t have isa browns,you have Red sexlinks.A breed that can be sexed by color at birth.The makes are white,with brown on wings,the hens are reddish and white,such as the pen sin your pictures.I see one red sexlink pullet and three red sexlink cockerels.

My suspicions are true. I am within city limits and cannot keep roosters. My next question is this. I have read that if you breed two red sex links together, you will not get red sex links because they are specifically bred between two different birds to make them. I do not want to butcher them, bit if this is the case, will the roosters be sought after by anyone?

You don’t have isa browns,you have Red sexlinks.A breed that can be sexed by color at birth.The makes are white,with brown on wings,the hens are reddish and white,such as the pen sin your pictures.I see one red sexlink pullet and three red sexlink cockerels.

ISA browns is the name of a specific type of sex link. These are ISAs.

will the roosters be sought after by anyone?
It is hard to say. It all depends on the “market” in your area. Some places it is easier to sell/give away/ rehome roosters than in others. But it certainly won’t hurt to try. An add on Facebook (if you can find a local poultry group), Craigslist, or a feed store flyer are all good places to start. You can also ask around in your BYC state thread. Best of luck to you!

ISA browns is the name of a specific type of sex link. These are ISAs.

It is hard to say. It all depends on the “market” in your area. Some places it is easier to sell/give away/ rehome roosters than in others. But it certainly won’t hurt to try. An add on Facebook (if you can find a local poultry group), Craigslist, or a feed store flyer are all good places to start. You can also ask around in your BYC state thread. Best of luck to you!
I will try Facebook poultry group. Great suggestion. Thank you.

You probably got the last pullet remaining from a straight run shipment. I've seen that before -- they had Black Star for their "breed of the week" and folks who knew what that meant easily picked out the pullets leaving a bin with nothing but cockerel chicks in it. :hmm

Back
Top Bottom