I think I may have lost my mind!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by REDJN2, Jan 23, 2015.

1. REDJN2

REDJN2 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2015
    Az
    Hi everyone,
    I started out on the chicken journey about a month or so ago and I guess I have the chicken fever. I picked up my first 4 a while back and they are doing great. So I think what the heck, get a few more :D

The family and I checked out a few of the crested styles online and since they kind of resemble the hair style of grandma we decided to grab a few silkies. We went down to the feed store this evening because they get their weekly delivery in on Fridays and picked up a couple. Kids picked them out and they are really excited!

I assume they are hatchery stock, but is their any way to tell what "type" of Silkie or the gender at this point? Probably are 1-2 days old.

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    buff and a black silkie is about all you can tell right now...i'll be a bit before you know the gender. They are cute!!

lol, same things happened too me. i've got way too many chickens :D

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It looks like you have a buff and a black Silkie. It is way too young to tell gender- Silkies are one of the hardest breeds to sex. Post more photos of them when they are atleast 8 weeks old. Good luck with them! They are very cute.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

5. REDJN2

REDJN2 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2015
    Az
    Thank you all for the replies!

6. sophiehuntley1

sophiehuntley1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2015
    If one is a roo it will be taller and much braver. If you put your hand in their pen a roo wouldn't hesitate to investigate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by