1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think I may have mess up, maybe.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by indigo flats, Feb 15, 2017.

1. indigo flats

indigo flats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2017
    Elgin South Carolina
    OK I purchased a STC 1000 and have checked it using ice water it is accurate it read 0.0 I checked it against the digital in the incubator by placing the probe right beside the digital and the digital is reading two degrees higher than the STC 1000. My question I have now incubated my eggs for 11 days at two degrees higher than I thought I was doing which I thought was 99.5 but now I believe it was more like 101.5 they are in an incubator that is a forced air. Is has been incubating for 11 days at that temperature “101.5 F” in a forced air, now how is this going to have an effect on them, did it damage them or are they going to hatch early. OK I am going to run the next ten days using the STC 1000 set at 99.5 forced air because I trust the STC !000 more than the old digital.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    They'll be okay, they'll likely hatch early but otherwise should be fine.

3. indigo flats

Jan 29, 2017
    Elgin South Carolina
    Will that change the lock down time at 18 days?

4. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I'd still lock them down at the same time since we can't know for sure that they'll be early. They'll do okay :) You can watch them for internal pips if you want and if you get one before day 18 then you could do lockdown early.

5. indigo flats

Jan 29, 2017
    Elgin South Carolina
    How does one recognize an internal pip?

6. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    It looks like a shadow in the air cell, like this:

[​IMG]

That egg is a duck, but it will look similar.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by