I think I may need help!!

kasfluv

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 5, 2017
My beloved hen would, normally, go into her nest box, "zone out," and lay her egg. She got broody and I got her a fertile egg - that egg is now a lovely 12 week old pullet. Henrietta was and still is a GREAT mom.
She is again laying, but now, she is very vocal and runs around squawking, desperately seeking a place to lay her egg. She also pants as she is running and squawking.
Once she lays the egg all seems good. I am worried that there may be a medical reason and/or that she will begin to lay somewhere that I won't be able to find.
She is free range - she came out of nowhere, and has the run of our cul de sac. Although, I have the coop and chicken corral, and am the main caretaker. I love her and take full responsibility for her health and happiness.
I am sitting in my garage with her while she lays right now- she seems fine.

Anyone have any ideas? Is this a medical problem? Do I just need to let her do her thing - or what?

Some of my hens raise cane before during and after the egg laying. I have a couple that get aggressive towards anyone or thing that approaches the nest. And I have one that will run at me and squawk when I collect her egg.
I believe your situation is behavioural not medical.
Try giving her all the privacy she is requesting.
Opinion of course.
:) fc

Oh! Thank you so much!!
She ended up in my garage, not wanting me to leave her. Sheesh!!
Egg in good shape! Hen very happy after laying!!
Just don't want to have to repeat this everyday- hoping it's the roofing going on next door and that when that is over all will return to normal!! Hope, hope, pray, pray!!

Back
Top Bottom