I think I might already have an issue with what I've learned to call chicken math...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 1stTimeChikMama, Sep 28, 2012.

1. 1stTimeChikMama

1stTimeChikMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    Interlochen, MI
    So I currently have 13 chicks that are now just over a week old. They were all ordered as "pullets" but as I read more and more I am becoming concerned. Now I know the rules, "wait and see", "girls can look like boys" etc. BUT in this semi panic state of thinking about 5 of my "girls" might be boys... I'm already debating on looking for some eggs to hatch. I was looking at trying to get some lavender Americana. Of course, if I do decide to get eggs... then I once again would have to guess some will not hatch, what if most are boys, etc. SO I was thinking well... I should get at least 10 eggs then, right?!?!?!?! But then if I'm wrong, and they are almost all hens and I get eggs that are all hens... then I already need to build another coop when I just am finishing building this first one! Because a 7 ft X 8 ft is not big enough! LOL!!! The fear of little roos is already making me crazy and I'm only one week in! Ohhhh this chicken math is going to make me crazy!

~Samantha ^_^

2. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Hatching eggs you can count on a 50/50 of boys and girls. Most hatcheries do a fair job of sexing your little ones.

3. 1stTimeChikMama

Sep 18, 2012
    Interlochen, MI
    Some of them are just growing really big compared to some others and their legs look so big! But I know I'm completely jumping the gun on it :) I'm just into the daily analyzing of every inch of them :)

4. gardendufus

gardendufus Chillin' With My Peeps

You are SO jumping the gun. Relax and enjoy. If some are Roos, you will be giving them away probably Jan or Feb. Just in time to order a FEW more spring pullets. More than likely with 13 chicks you will have 1 or 2 Roos AT MOST.

5. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

How many did you order? Some chicks grow faster. Have 2 feeders or one of them chick troughs, bet they'll even up on the weight/sizes. Did you order all the same type?

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Yeah, i'd sit back and wait for awhile. I know it's hard and we all worry but you don't want to get in over your head. My source for my birds guaranteed the sex 90%..

7. 1stTimeChikMama

Sep 18, 2012
    Interlochen, MI
    I know I just have to wait :) I was just venting my anxieties hahaha ^_^ But I have 13 chicks. 4 Buff Orpingtons- 2 are almost double the size of the other two and bigger legs. I also have 3 barred rock - 1 has a small head spot, dark legs, not much white on the feathers coming in, and all over body color is quite dark black she is about half the size of the other two. The other two barred rock are more of a smoky body color/not black, not much color on their legs/quite yellow, head spots are big and not really a spot, more of a zigzagged blotch. They also have a lot of strait white stripes on their wings. Then I have 3 Araucana (probably EE's). Two are again are half the size of the 3rd. They have a ton of wing feathers and much smaller legs/feet. The third Araucana has some wing feathers but just about half of what the other two have and has no tail feathers at all and the other two have tail feathers about an inch long already. So it is much less feathered out.

Again just the results of me staring at them constantly :)

They are in a 4 x4 x4 box right now with 2 upside down/plastic type feeders and a trough feeder. So hopefully that is enough for them all! This is my first time raising chicks!

And yes they were 90% sex guarantee from the hatchery.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  8. 1stTimeChikMama

Sep 18, 2012
    Interlochen, MI
    I left out my 3 Rhode Islands Reds :) But those three seem to be progressing the same (same size, color, stripe on head, etc.)!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by