1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think i might be in a spot

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bt03, Jun 8, 2011.

1. bt03

bt03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Over the rainbow...
    I was told at the feed store where I got her that she was a Rouen... Today she flew 5 feet today because she didn't want me to come to close today. Did they lie to me or is she just a really light Rouen that is an exception to the no fly rule?

[​IMG]

2. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    her body shape says rouen to me. 5 ft really isnt that far.

3. Aglaboost

Aglaboost Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2011
    The Rouen drakes I had last year could fly a a pretty good distance.

Yours looks exactly like the Rouen's I have this year.

4. bt03

Mar 1, 2011
    Over the rainbow...
    Thank you both for the reply! I was a little scared that I would have to catch her and clip her wings constantly. She has been getting progressively better about getting off the ground and is smaller than my Khaki Campbell who is about 8 weeks old and is just losing the last of his baby fuzz.

5. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Looks Rouen-ish to me. I've seen some big ducks fly sometimes. 5 feet sounds reasonable. I've even seen runners and jumbo pekins fly higher and farther than that when they're scared.

6. bt03

Mar 1, 2011
    Over the rainbow...
    She flew over the house to the front yard today [​IMG]

7. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Quote:That's not good!

8. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    How old. If she's this year's baby, she is probably still light in weight, they pack it on after about 6 months -- that will make a difference. But, they're not always totally flightless, and there are also different strains of Rouen, some are a lot heavier than others -- the meat production strains will be the heaviest, and therefore the least likely to be able to fly. Having come from a feed store, hard to say what they ordered from the hatchery.

You can always clip the wings at least this time, and then see if she packs on some weight.

9. bt03

Mar 1, 2011
    Over the rainbow...
    Darlene- The rooster that scared her is going in to freezer camp today because he has had as many chances as I'm willing to give. He is the head rooster but is over aggressive with the hens and he has been trying to mount Olivia and scared her enough to teach her to fly. I don't think he realized I only need one rooster to get fertile eggs [​IMG]

Den- I can't remember her exact age but I know she is coming up on 20 weeks because my bantam chicks were born a couple weeks before I got her and they just started laying this week. She used to live in the front yard till the bobcat came so they had to move in with the chickens for a bit (still bobcat hunting) but I watched her fly up to the roof and I went to the front to get the ladder to get her down and she was happily walking around the front yard.

10. ducklover15

ducklover15 Chillin' With My Peeps

She is definitely a rouen. Her body shape and the lines on her face say it all. =]

I've had some really light rouens that could fly just as well as my mallards. She /should/ get heavier with age.
    Most of the time, only the real SQ rouens get absolutely huge.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by