I think I might have an impacted wisdom tooth? :(

alicefelldown

Looking for a broody
11 Years
Aug 18, 2008
So I thought I had chewed up my cheek while sleeping and it got infected, but now I can feel a 'lump' on my jawbone and I (with google's help) think it might be an impacted wisdom tooth.
sad.png

Hurts, maybe a 3 out of 10? Mostly just uncomfortable and chewing solid foods seems to irritate it. No insurance of course, so that's pretty awesome.

Hurray for benzocane and bourbon 'till I can talk to / see the dentist.

Last edited:
i have the same problem right now except i have insurance thank goodness. mine is fused to my jaw bone and laying side ways so i have to go see a oral surgeon now to have it removed. my dentist just removed another one a few days ago so this is the last i need out so i can get my partials. i feel for ya i know how bad they hurt and can get. best thing i found that helps is i-b profen/motrin it helps take down swelling and with pain and hot water bottles help also along with the benzocane. u will also need an antibiotic for the infection. hope ya feel better soon.

Dentist confirmed, impacted wisdom tooth, stuck under bone. Poor thing can't get out!

Goes out tomorrow morning, how exciting
roll.png

Good luck, I feel for you. I have 3 trapped under bone. They are not decending yet, though they do give me migranes every now and then. The dentist wants to surgically remove them in about 2 decades. That is the time frame she thinks they will start to push on the bones.

All 4 of mine were bone impacted.
roll.png

Was not fun having them removed......They actually have to go in and drill the bone out of the way and then break the teeth up to remove them...or at least they did on me.

Make sure you eat a nice meal before going in cos you wont have one for some time afterwards. I lived off of pudding and mashed potatoes for almost 3 weeks after I had mine pulled.

I feel your pain....Mine were causing me serious headaches and pain that would radiate from my jaw all the way down my neck!

Starting midnight tonight I'm not allowed any food (hurray for sedation) so I stocked up on a big order of Aloo Ghobi (vegetarian Indian recipe consisting of spiced potatoes, cauliflower, and turmeric) and Chicken Korma (chicken simmered in a creamy fragrant yogurt sauce with onion, garlic, ginger, raisins, and cashews) as my Final Meal.

Haven't had solid foods for days, and thus, lost my appetite, but sitting in the restaurant waiting for the food made me SO HUNGRY.

Should have had them removed years ago, and am not looking forward to how much this will cost.

I guess I can look forward to reenacting this video though:

Quote:
Yep...all 4 of mine were full-bony impacted as well and were all turned 90 degrees outward (top was facing towards my cheek.
idunno.gif
My insurance wouldn't cover general anesthesia, so I did all 4 under laughing gas...plus the oral surgeon gave me 2 shots of Novocaine on each upper side, 3 shots of novacaine on each lower side (so 10 shots total!), a shot of Demerol on the arm and 1.5 Xanax. Lets just say the surgery was NO problem!
lau.gif
But, one it wore of...hmmm....5 days of Vicadin. After that I was fine. My lower jaw was drilled out enough that the oran surgeon equated it to him busting open my jaw...so while I wasn't technically swollen, I had that scar tissue that forms over fractures while it heals. That lasted a couple weeks. Overall, it wasn't too bad at all. Definitely not fun and I never want to do it again, but I've been through worse.

It won't be too bad...I promise. (aside from the cost....now that is painful!!)
hugs.gif

Still need to scan my neet-o panoramic x-ray (it makes me look like a monster!), but update:

I had all four yanked out this morning, under a 'twilight sleep'. As far as I know, everything went fine. I go back in next week for check-up/cleaning and to hear the gory details.

Turned out that it wasn't just the impacted bottom wisdom tooth which was new, but the older tooth above it that had come down so low that it was chewing up my gums and causing a massive infection.

Since I had x-rays done in Nov. when I lost my insurance, and none of these teeth looked to be problematic, they decided to also rip out the other two, for a total of two surgical extractions (upper teeth) and the bottom two which were impacted, "partial bony". Went with an oral surgeon who cut a lot of items off of the final bill, which came to a little over $1,500. Not too bad considering it should have been at least $2,200 if I hadn't tried "acting" extra pathetic and poor.

It HURTS omg. Can swallow now, so am waiting for the vicodin to kick in while eating applesauce and smoothies through straws. As soon as I'm no longer dizzy (and it stops raining) I want to go sit with the chickens and praise our newly laying olive egger (hatched from shipped eggs from Heidi) who is an egg laying CHAMPION that doesn't seem to believe in taking days off.

Last edited:
Quote:
Remember to suck on a straw lightly or you could get dry socket and if you think you hurt now, you haven't known pain til you have dry socket. Just be careful when using a straw.

Back
Top Bottom