I think I might lose a baby chick.

Judahrod

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2020
I'm a new chicken owner and I got 10 chicks, all are doing good except for one that is much smaller than the others, I thought she might have sour crop cuz the crop was kinda squishy, although I tried smelling her breath and couldn't smell anything. I separated her and it looks like the squishy crop went away? But this whole time she just sits there with her eyes closed, I don't think she is eating, I tried giving her water with apple cider vinegar and I think she drank some. I tried giving her plain yogurt with probiotics and I don't think she ate any. Not to mention I have no idea how to force feed her. I don't want to lose this one, is there anything anyone can think of?

Sometimes there is nothing you can do... But, if you think the sour crop is gone, then I would try feeding the chick some egg yolk (if the chick is young as that has the nutrients needed) and some plain yogurt mixed with a little bit of water to make it go down easier. Force feeding is easiest if you can find a 5cc syringe (or a bit larger or smaller). You might be able to get one from the local veterinarian. You can try to use the end of a small tongue depressor too. Hoping for the best with your little one. You can also make a chick electrolyte mix at home to help them along (or buy some chick saver).

Thanks for your reply, I was trying to feed her and she pooped, I know it doesn't look normal, any ideas? Does it help narrow the diagnosis? Looks like it won't let me attach a pic, it's very runny with a couple dark blots, kinda mucusy.

Easiest way to post pics is to use a site like imgur.com but yeah post pics if you can. We all have seen chicken poop before and ya gonna be hard pressed to gross any of us out over that.

Yes, posting a photo would be best as we might be able to help. If the chick hasn't been eating solid foods and only having a bit of water, the poop might be quite runny. Where did you get your chicks from? They can sometimes carry diseases too, which is never pleasant.

Back
Top Bottom