1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think I need a shock collar for a chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by horsejody, Apr 23, 2009.

1. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    When we are home and outside we let the chickens out to free range. One particular hen, Zsha Zsha, has become fascinated with the road. Of course, we keep chasing her back from the road so there have been no tragedies. Even when she is not actively running towards the road, she stands there and stares at it like she is pondering the age old question of "why did the chicken cross the road?" I wish that I could get a little chicken sized shock collar to discourage her.

2. emilyweck

emilyweck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Eugene, Oregon
    I live in an urban area and when I go to work in the mornings I will often see a chicken owner chasing her RIR hen onto the sidewalk from off the road. Never fails to see them atleast 2 times a week. Sounds like your chicken and this other chicken have the same fascination. Good luck.

3. DiVon80

DiVon80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Pearl River,Louisiana
    Maybe shes depressed? Contemplating-you know![​IMG]

4. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    Quote:" why am i here ? what's the meaning of life? i know there are bigger bugs over there...." [​IMG]

5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:Well, her closest friends and sisters were killed in the dog attack last year. Maybe she just needs counseling. The poor rooster just panics when she is by the road. I think it's because he associates it with humans running and screaming after them when they get too close. He stands 20 yards back and screams his head off as she keeps walking. Luckily, there is hardy any traffic here. I could count on my fingers the number of cars that drive by all day and still have fingers left over, but I still don't want her in the road!

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Maybe you will need to fence in an area for her. I fenced in my birds because they were getting in my gardens and scratching and eating my newly planted plants and tearing up and spreading out my mulch piles. It was either fence in the gardens or the chickens. The chickens lost. There are pictures on my BYC Page.

7. I'vegotchickenfever

I'vegotchickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    I live in an urban area and when I go to work in the mornings I will often see a chicken owner chasing her RIR hen onto the sidewalk from off the road. Never fails to see them atleast 2 times a week. Sounds like your chicken and this other chicken have the same fascination. Good luck.

[​IMG]
    what a sight! [​IMG]

Every week... [​IMG]

twice a week... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by