I think I need some professional help...

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
Surely there has to be someone in this line of work?? I just got done checking birds for the night and in 1 DAY my broody hen count went from 16 to 21!!
ep.gif
th.gif
This is not counting ducks (I have 4 broody) or geese (my 1 and only is on a nest) or doves (2 of 4 pairs on eggs or chicks) or pigeons (2 of 3 pairs on eggs). This is getting a bit ridiculous, I think I need an intervention!
gig.gif

I'm about to kick the peas out of their house so I can turn it into a broody mansion. I have 5 nests that have 2 hens each, 2 hens that are in the same general area but have separate nests, and 3 cochins are crammed into the same nest. I have another that isn't even IN a nest, yet she has eggs and is growling at everything. I am fresh out of nests, I have to brave the broody bites every day to get the 'new' eggs. This is ridiculous! I've never had so many at one time. The only good thing is that little Nugget has a zipper so at least she's almost done
th.gif

Last edited:
I have maintained at least an average of 5-6 at all times since early spring! Have hatched well over a hundred chicks from them so far! But I would rather have an incubator!lol

Silkies are ALWAYS broody...except when you WANT them to be. And then they have other things on their agenda.

If you have to move a broody's nest, if you are happy she is broody, no mattter how careful you are, or how limited the move, you will break her broodiness. If you don't care whether she is broody or not, or ESPECIALLY if you DO NOT want her broody, a cross-country move using a bumpy greyhound bus over the course of several days will not break it.

I have a silkie hen that sat in the "broody buster" cage for almost 4 weeks....she won't give up. As of last night, I have 6 gone broody.

Back
Top Bottom