I think I need to help him... Please Help Me

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bstead24, Jun 10, 2011.

1. bstead24

bstead24 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    Started piping yesterday afternoon... The pic shows the hole he had at 7:00am this morning.... Still at 8:14pm right now it looks the same.... There is a crack going down under the hole ... But he seems to not be able to go any further ....

[​IMG]

2. Mrs.brown

Mrs.brown Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    In a coop
    I wouldn't

3. bstead24

May 15, 2011
    Ok Thanks ... Its just been over 24 hours since he cracked the shell .... And he looks so tired... Thats what I needed... Just to be told , Do or Don't [​IMG]

4. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    i would, and have with my own.

chipped the shell away little by little, tore the membrane being careful of spots where it was attached. put it back in the incubator to dry off. you have to be sure to not drop the humidity for those that are still hatching, though

if he was still making progress, i'd say no. however, it's been 12 hours and no change? i'd help

5. Mrs.brown

Apr 14, 2011
    In a coop
    Quote:I learned the hard way. I helped a chick before it was ready and it died. If its been 24 hours without any movement or activity then I would help it out. Good luck!

6. moondog425

moondog425 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    tn
    I have two chicks that i helped out , lokked about like your pic, and they are three weeks old now and fine. Just be gentle with them if you try to help.[​IMG]

7. bstead24

May 15, 2011
    Ok.. Salty... I did go to help after you last post.. But I got a little scared to do it.. He is still moving around and breathing .... He just looks really tired almost doesnt wanna try anymore... Maybe its becoming a chick daddy for the first time im stressing....

8. Mrs.brown

Apr 14, 2011
    In a coop
    I hope there wasn't any big viens. I f there was it wasn't ready yet and if you popped a vein it might of bled to death.
    Yet it could have been the right thing to do. I hope it goes well!

9. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    I helped one chick just yesterday. It had pipped a hole, but then nothing more for 24 hours. All the other eggs had hatched. So, what I did was I steamed up my bathroom by running a hot shower. Once my bathroom was very hot and steamy I took the egg in there and carefully removed small pieces of shell using tiny tweezrs. Just a little bit around the pip hole. I was super patient and careful to not pull on the membrane where it was touching the chick. Once the hole was big enough to see the chicks head I put it carefully back into the incubator making sure it was still warm and humid enough in there. A few minutes later the chick finished the job itself and hatched. Whatever you choose to do....good luck. [​IMG]

10. JosieChick

JosieChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Lyman, ME
    I just pulled a cochin chick out of the shell, the membrane had shrunk down on its head and it was stuck. The humidity had dropped in the bator slightly during the day while I was at work but was still 64%, so not super low. It had chipped a hole this am and was still in the same predicament this evening. It is the end of my hatch and nothing else has pipped so I pulled it out and chipped the shell away, zipped the membrane and out popped the chick, happy as ever to be out of that shell! Just use a moist washcloth to dampen any stuck membrane. Sometimes there is a reason they don't hatch. I had one a few weeks ago that had formed its insides on the outside and we had to cull it when I opened it up, poor little thing. Sometimes it is just stuck due to human and incubator error. You can search on here for tips on how to help it out. Just keep in mind that if you have other eggs that are hatching you will compromise them by opening the bator and losing all your lockdown humidity. Best of luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by