I think I saw a weasel today

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Lucysmom002, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Lucysmom002

Lucysmom002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    It was larger than a mouse but much smaller than a rat. Had a very long skinny body and a short tail. It was solid brown. It wasn't afraid of me, just walked around a little and then ran under the chicken coop. I wish I had a shovel in my hand! I have the chickens locked up and the gates are open to their yard so the cats can get in there.
    Would this have been a baby weasel or just a small one or what? I don't think it was a gopher. We do have them around here. I've never seen a weasel before but I've only had chickens for a year or so now.

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Found some pix:

Weasels

Hope this is some help!

3. Lucysmom002

Lucysmom002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Sure looks like it! Thanks! Now what do I do? I hope the cats find them! I even left a night light in the barn to help them see them at night.

4. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    You're lucky to see one, usually they do their dirty work and the bodies they leave are the only sign they're around. Make sure all holes half an inch or larger are covered because that's all they need to gain entry--if there is one around, they'll find it. The good thing about them is that they'll eliminated any rats and mice first before starting on the chickens.

5. Thornius

Thornius New Egg

Jul 22, 2011
    I saw a mink once along a creek near my farm in Middle Tennessee. I was catching minnows for night fishing and this mink came running and popped into its den under some tree roots. Looked like a furred snake!

6. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    definitely a weasel or a mink. it could be an ermine as well. either one of these three they will all eat your chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by