I think I saw an ark today....advice needed.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 1stepcloser, Oct 14, 2009.

1. 1stepcloser

1stepcloser Poultry In Motion

Sep 16, 2009
    Dover, TN
    OMG it won't quit raining! My run is soaking wet and parts of it have about an inch and a half of standing water. Other parts aren't submerged...yet. Unforunately it is supposed to rain nonstop the next few days. Money is tight and I can't afford to go out and buy a bunch of sand. Could I throw down a bunch of straw I have as a quick fix? I understand I will be raking it up/composting it in a couple of weeks. I am just trying to come up with ways to keep my chickens from treading water.

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    We just had our first big rain of the season - 3" in 24 hours. When my pens get soaked like that i throw down straw so the chickens and i will have something to walk on other than mud. It's a great quick fix.

3. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    As a quick temporary fix it will be fine. What really works here as a great base...and it doesn't get muddy...is limestone grindings or fines. After you put it down rake it around to make it level etc. It actually almost "sets up" after the first rain. It gave my chicken run a really nice base - that I can rake when it is dry. I had some of the material left over from our path and lane and threw it into the chicken run to test it out. I plan on getting more in the future. It really works great and keeps them out of the mud for the most part.

It wasn't very expensive I hope you can try it sometime...good luck. Dealing with mud really can wear you down.

4. Joyryder

Joyryder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Scandia, PA
    I had a similar problem, the run got so muddy I needed ice cleats to walk in. Short term I used a bale of mulch hay $2.00. But it should be put down when the run is dry. Long term - I need gutters and a drainage ditch.

Take a look at the link below very good advice by Patandchickens

Big Ol' Mud Page (fixing muddy runs): https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-fix-a-muddy-run

5. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    After years of mud and mess I too finally went to using stone. It has fines in it and packs down to a really nice base. And when you shovel snow out of the pen it is easy to get right to ground level with snow shovel...
    For you with money being tight try using wood pallets for the chickens to walk and stand on. It really works in a pinch! good luck..

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I don't know if you've seen my muddy run page (link in .sig below), but it may have some useful ideas.

In your shoes, yeah, I'd probably use straw as a temporary fix if that was all that was around. It's just a lot of work to remove later on! [​IMG] Trenching should help a good bit too, if you can do that.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

7. garngang

garngang Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    North Central Arkansas
    1step closer i feel your pain! im here in arkansas and we are dealing with the same problems. its really frustrating i know!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by