I think i screwed up need quick help please!!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by DENALI, May 12, 2008.

1. DENALI

DENALI Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    If you read my post below from last night about going to orschelns you would already know i brought home 100 4 week old Cornish x's yesterday (these things are HUGE already). However they sent me home with 18% chick starter feed for them as that is what they have had them on to this point in the store along with all the other day olds etc. Should i switch them to something different? I have 4 bags of the chick starter so 100 of them should eat through it pretty quick i would think and then maybe switch? Let me know! . Thanks

2. bluebirdfarm

bluebirdfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

wow , i thought i was the only crazy one ! we just got 104 of the jumbo rocks , they are only 10 days old and we started them on 20 % chick starter , they ate 40 # in 10 days! yikes.you will prob be out of that fud real quick , i think u r spose to have them on a higher protien .

3. DENALI

DENALI Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    I just called them and the only other thing they have is a 22% game bird feed. Would that be sufficient? Thanks

4. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    I keep my on Grower Cal Pellets at that age.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I fed mine starter for 2 weeks then bought the lesser priced ration the rest of the feeding and 2 weeks before processing switched them over to corn for that thick yellow fat for schmaltz making. Honestly don't feed them the expensive feed. They eat so much and poop it out just as fast you're wasting your money. Give them lots of grass and fill the feed pans all day and stop it at night and give them only water. In the end my Jumbo cornish, 27 birds, were eating 25 lbs of feed every day and 6 gallons of water minimum. That gets expensive fast!

6. hdchic

hdchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    IL
    MissPrissy....I should be pulling food at night??

7. Fearlessphil

Fearlessphil Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    Vilonia, Arkansas
    The only starter available to me was 18%. I switched to grower/finisher (15%) at about 4 weeks. Mine were fine and weighed around 7 pounds at 8 weeks. I let the feed run out in the evening.

8. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I raised jumbo's. I pulled the feed at night and left tons of water. They will eat and sleep in the feed troughs day and night if you let them.

9. living2ride

living2ride Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:Mine would never eat grass, or any snacks of any kind. Just their feed. And my images of "free ranging" meat birds certainly didn't pan out. They sat in front of the feeders and never moved. When I removed the feeders, they sat down and waited until I returned them in the morning. They were big, stinky, lazy bottomless pits, but they tasted so good that I have a batch coming in this week. LOL!

10. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    We are planning on 100 this fall! They were sooooo good!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by