I think I sold the "smart" chickens!!!!

bigeaks

In the Brooder
Feb 3, 2015
Ok, so I had 6 silkie chicks. They are approximately 5 months old. I ended up with 3 roosters and 3 hens. I sold a pair last week. Every since I sold the pair, my others won't go up into their coop. They had all been going up the ramp and into their coop every night. Now they pile up on the ground in a corner. Did I sell the leader? Or what's up? Any suggestions! I will post a picture of my ramp and coop.

MagicPidge

Chirping
May 19, 2015
ACT
I once had a similar problem with some of my birds. Except in my case it was roosters who had to sleep in the garage on behalf of our neighbours. What I ended up doing was catching the roosters when it started getting dark and carry them into the garage (head forward so they could see where they were going - not sure if this helped in anyway but it was worth a shot). It took a few weeks but after that they'd find their way up there themselves. Sometimes with a little motivation from the 'net of doom' (Read: an old butterfly net that they were for some reason terrified of).

Though, after I gave up those two roosters I couldn't successfully replicate that behaviour with any of my later birds. Maybe I was lucky the first time round?
roll.png

bigeaks

In the Brooder
Feb 3, 2015
I locked them in the coop when they were younger and that helped then. It's really weird that I would have to do again after two chickens leaving, don't you think?

Last edited:

MagicPidge

Chirping
May 19, 2015
ACT
Yeah, it is a little odd. Taking a stab here, would there be any chance something could have spooked them? I used to leave the door of the chicken coop open during the day so the hens could roam around the whole garden. They would always return to the coop to sleep - but one time I recall them all sleeping outside and refusing to go in. With a little investigation I realised an injured possum had crawled into the nesting area... such fun
roll.png

Worth a shot, I guess?

bigeaks

In the Brooder
Feb 3, 2015
They are free range during the day, and if I wait until late (almost dark) to go outside, they are inside the "run" area, but not up in the coop (enclosed area). They are silkies with huge crest. To be honest I'm wondering if their crest have gotten so large they simply can't see to go up the ramp. In the picture above you can't see it, but the ramp is two levels so that it wouldn't be so steep. And they don't really roost, they pile up! But it just doesn't make sense that it would start literally the evening I sold the one pair.

Last edited:

MagicPidge

Chirping
May 19, 2015
ACT
I know what you mean about the pile ups! So cute, yet so, so, easy to trip over once it's dark...
love.gif

Eh, mine never seemed to have a problem seeing, though occasionally they'd get bullied by some of the larger chickens and sleep on the floor... are the silkies the only birds you keep in that run/coop? Any bullies in there?

bigeaks

In the Brooder
Feb 3, 2015
I only have four silkies, and if any were bullies, it was the rooster I sold. They are all staying together, just not in the coop.

bigeaks

In the Brooder
Feb 3, 2015
Yes, that is what I was thinking as well. I will have to move their coop to a more shady area because right now it is in the sun for about 4 hours mid-day. It hasn't been a problem with them free ranging during the day but if I coop them up it would be of course.

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom