I think I solved my spur dilemma

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Pegs_eggs, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Pegs_eggs

Pegs_eggs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2010
    NH
    Our eldest rooster has some pretty sharp spurs, and injured one of our hens this spring. I read a few methods of dealing with spurs but couldn't bring myself to do any of them to our sweet guy. Then I reasoned that people put tennis balls over tent stakes to protect their shins, so what could I put over his spurs to protect the hens...?

[​IMG]

I used some Krazy Glue and adhered a bead on the end of each spur, choosing the most boring colored beads that I had. I will be watching them to make sure that the beads do not get tight as his spurs grow. So far, they have stayed on well (nearly two weeks) and no more torn hens. He doesn't even notice them and other than a couple of funny looks from the girls when I first put them on, they are ignored by the hens. I was pleased to find an apparent solution that works, and caused no stress or discomfort to our rooster [​IMG]

2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    What a great Idea thanks for sharing. [​IMG]

3. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I have been having issues with my rooster Jack's spurs. He has torn up a few of my girls backs this spring and summer. I was afraid to use the hot potato and twist them with the pliers. and scared to just use the pliers to twist them off. So I placed those wire nut things on them but unfortunatley they did not stay on. So just last week I used the nail trimmers for my dogs and cats and trimmed the sharp point off and his toenails as well. I hope it works. I hope the beads work for your girls sake as well.

4. scooterward

scooterward Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Lenoir City, TN
    Fantastic idea! When it comes time, I will do that too. I really didn't like the potato/twist off thing. Yuck. And Ouch. So this is great! Thanks for sharing.

5. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Wow... never realized the spurs would get that big!

6. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    Quote:What is that? Sounds horrible! [​IMG]

7. Pegs_eggs

Pegs_eggs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2010
    NH
    Oh yeah, I probably should mention to keep some nail polish remover handy in case the bead ends up glued to your finger instead. [​IMG] It's also how I will remove the beads if they become a problem.

8. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Quote:What is that? Sounds horrible! [​IMG]

I had to google it...

Old
    Wives Method of Dealing with Rooster Spurs: (from someone's old wife)

Bake a medium sized potato in the microwave until fairly soft (about 8-10 minutes). When the potato is ready, cut it in half crosswise and impale half on each spur all the way to the shank of the leg. Leave them there for 1-2 minutes. The heat and humidity will soften the "horny, keratinized layer" on the spur (see photo above). Using gloves, one at a time, grab the spurs firmly and twist off the hard outer layer. It should come off fairly easily. This will leave the calcar which is soft and not dangerous. The hard layer will grow back, so this procedure will have to be repeated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by