I think I want to cover my entire yard with poultry netting!

Anyone have design ideas for protecting about 700sf of yard?
Lots of tree cover might work in some cases-- since you're in the desert, probably not for you.

Maybe a bunch of things for chickens to hide under? I'm visualizing a yard full of tables and chairs (acquired as cheaply as possible, preferably from garbage piles or yard sales.) That would not completely protect the chickens (especially if they sit on top of the things), but it could help.

Your circus tent of netting sounds like a good idea to me!

If you have a coop that you can secure the chooks from four-legged predators at night, a bird net is a very good way to go! We cover our entire extended yard/garden (about 35'x50') zone.

In addition to drape the bird net on top of the entire fenced-in area, we made some easy t-post/2x2x8 combo, with a 4"x12" plywood board on top to hold up the net, so we can walk under the net easily. It's a hack, and not too pretty, but works without much effort!
We used to use rope to hold up the net, but it does not work as well as the 8' tall post!

Our main predator is a resident red shoulder hawk who lurks around. There are also other hawks and perhaps some owls at night. We do lock the chickens in a secured, four-legged predator proof run/coop nightly.

Attachments

• t-post.jpg
    t-post.jpg
    1,006.4 KB · Views: 60
I live in the high desert of Colorado where aerial predators are constantly present. Anyone have design ideas for protecting about 700sf of yard? I keep imagining a circus tent of camo nettingšŸ¤£

I'm also in Colorado. We are at about 8.5k feet elevation and do have trees. I have bird netting on run addition. The recent snow storm dumped about 12" of snow, in 12 hours...bird netting could not withstand the weight of the snow. I had to go dig the netting out of the snow and reattach.

Last edited:
How MANY Chickens?
Netting will not work if you get Snow or Freezing rain. It will not hold up.
You could however get netting up for the rest of the year. Take it down for Winter.
During Winter time you can make a run that is covered and built CORRECTLY to handle your snow load.
I'm in Massachusetts, my run is a Shelterlogic carport (but not the cover, just the frame). I used scrap sheets of plywood and Dumpster diving 2x4's to make a solid roof. Then put a HUGE tarp over the the whole thing so the snow/rain can't get into the run area--plus it's easier to scrape off the snow. Temps will stay a little- LITTLE- warmer in the run and the ends have air flow.
The rest of my seasons it just has wire around it all (top too) and I'll take 1/2 the wood roof off (all of the tarp) so there is shade for summer.

I only have 6 hens and will be moving this spring/summer so it's all just temporary for now.

here is a pic, sorry it's bad but I don't wanna go out in the 15Āŗ temp lol. It snowed like 8" yesterday - the Shed attached is their coop (7x7), run is about 10x10
IMG_20220108_083339521[1].jpg

here is inside pic taken from my security camera.. again, not going outside. Also it is closed up tight for the winter with almost no way of me going in without cutting the wire on the coop side.
IMG_20220108_083655984[1].jpg

I have a 1200 sf run covered with heavy duty bird netting, it holds up fine to the snow. If it's a heavy, wet snow I do go out & knock it off. We got over a foot yesterday & nothing stuck. I have 3 very tall poles holding it up in the middle & it's attached to the fence with hog rings (you have to look really hard to see it).
IMG_20220107_101159242.jpg

The hawks hang out here but can't get in - you can see him on the middle post. & my not so street smart chickens enamored with him. :barnie
Screenshot_20210919-085928.png

I live in the high desert of Colorado where aerial predators are constantly present. Anyone have design ideas for protecting about 700sf of yard? I keep imagining a circus tent of camo nettingšŸ¤£
fishing line (braided 40lb or thicker) crisscrossed in all directions works for us. Cheap, not affected by wind or snow, and virtually invisible. But birds of prey see it as a trap set for them and not even getting close.

I have a 1200 sf run covered with heavy duty bird netting, it holds up fine to the snow. If it's a heavy, wet snow I do go out & knock it off. We got over a foot yesterday & nothing stuck. I have 3 very tall poles holding it up in the middle & it's attached to the fence with hog rings (you have to look really hard to see it).
View attachment 2953204

The hawks hang out here but can't get in - you can see him on the middle post. & my not so street smart chickens enamored with him. :barnie
View attachment 2953205

Same here! We survived last year with the birdnet/deernet as yard covering, never had snow/ice problem that caused the net to collapse. With a few tall posts in strategic locations, we can walk in the garden/yard quite comfortably.

Just took the picture - we had 5 inches of snow two days ago. There is a red shoulder hawk nest in the big oak tree between the yard and the shed.

Attachments

• BirdNet.jpg
    BirdNet.jpg
    909.5 KB · Views: 66
A few times last year - not too bad. we have a combination of 1/2 in deer net and 1 inch birdnet. (started with deer net before I found the bird net). Both held up quite well.

There were also a few times with 2-3 ft snow in one day, we had to go out and shook off the snow both on the tarp inside the cube and the deer net. The birdnet had no problem at all.
An additional zone was added this year, and we use 2" birdnet - easier for bees, snow to get through and cheaper!

Back
Top Bottom