I think I want to cry :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hd_darcy, May 6, 2011.

1. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I am soooooo mad at myself! I set eggs 20 days ago. Due to a broken thermometer I had low temps by like 2 degrees for two-three days. So, when they were due to go in lockdown on Wednesday, I decided to wait and not put them in lockdown until today. I go down there today to candle them and pull out the ones that didn't look good before locking down (I know I should have done that before), and I hear one chirping! And it already has a hole in the egg [​IMG] Is this terrible?! They have been in my autoturn cradle...UGH.. I quickly filled up the two water wells and laid some paper towel in there. I'm hoping my Brinsea (octagon Eco) can get the humidity up immediately. Is there any hope???

I hate the stress of hatching!! Is there anything at all I can do? It looked like one other egg was rocking, and then another had possibly pipped too. Oh my. I'm so nervous, and am feeling terrible for probably screwing this up.

Any advice at all PLEASE?! Thank you!!

p.s. This is just my second hatch. My first hatch, I only had one hatch (shipped eggs).

2. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    I would say wait and see. If they are pipping and peeping, there's a great chance they'll make it. I wish you the best of luck! Post updates, please. [​IMG]

3. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    I use the Brinsea Eco 20. It comes up to temp and humidity very quickly. I would get them in as soon as possible and just keep an eye for any who might be having trouble getting out. If they're taking an unusually long time to zip after pipping, you may want to peel back just a tad of the shell (outer shell only, not the membrane) to see if the membranes have dried too much. If so, you can chip away just a bit of shell at a time and very carefully use a q-tip to moisten the membrane. I have a feeling you might not need to do any of that though. Good luck.

4. CrookedFurrows

CrookedFurrows Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2011
    Actuly to contridicte the person above me (sorry) if your a first (or second) timer I think it would be best not to touch the eggs don't in anyway help them to get out you could break their "umbilical cord" and they could bleed out and die it would be best to stick with messing with the temp and humitity rather than the eggs themselves the method mentioned by said BYCer may be effective for them but is extremly risky.

5. Silkie horsechick

Silkie horsechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Northwest Pennsylvania
    I ended up having to intervene on 6 of mine.
    they were stuck.
    First one died from struggling too long.
    Second one almost did.
    I extracted the other 4 too and all lived.
    Don't let them struggle too long.
    I'm new to this,
    but it worked.
    they all had cracked the shells though

6. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I have had several pip in the turners, and as I am taking them out, I place my thumb over the pip hole and place it into the hatcher after misting it with water really well. Careful misting directly into the pip, you can drown them, but you do want to mist the pip hole a little.

Next time, just take them out of the turner and place them in the hatcher and when you see them starting to pip, then increase the humidity. This is the way I usually do all of mine, and I have had good luck this way. Better luck than increasing the humidity at day 18. I hatch silkies so they may be different too.

7. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Thank you all for the help and tips! I wish I would have thought or known to spray them before I put them back in and got them going. One question - should I have paid attention to where their "pip" was.. like make sure it was pointed up or to the side..etc??? So far, nothing more [​IMG] I probably won't sleep tonight. These are d'uccles, and I have wanted some for too long!!!

8. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    I hope your little chicky comes through just fine!

9. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Last year I completely and I do mean completely forgot 3 different hatches..... seriously I set them in the turner and walked away, never added water or checked temps or anything. Know when I remembered? When I heard chicks, several hatched while still in the turner. Morel to the story is, they will probably be fine [​IMG]

10. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I have had them hatch in the turners, since I have started college, my mind is fried!!! The humidity was about 40 and it's perfectly fine. The only thing bad about opening the lids after they have pipped is that the humidity is drawn out and the chicks will get shrink wrapped inside the egg and cannot zip.

You should be able to hear if the chick is struggling. It will chirp quite loudly. That is when I go in and help mine out.

edited due to my fried mind not being able to type [​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by