1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think I want to get some more ducks, please help with some ?'s

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by fowlsessed, Apr 21, 2012.

1. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    A gentleman gave me a dozen Rouen eggs about two month ago, and out of those twelve, 4 hatched. Needless to say, I'm hooked on ducks and I want some more. But, I want a breed that goes broody and forages like a guinea. a small breed that lays lots of eggs would be a plus but, that may be asking for too much. Do you know of any breed(s) that may fit my criteria. thanks

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  2. zooweemama

zooweemama Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know first hand but from what I have read runners lay fairly well and are lightweight- I think averaging 4-5 pounds?

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Runners are excellent layers and they are lively, so they are good foragers. They aren't known for going broody, though.

Lots of eggs and broodiness are a contradiction in terms, so you can generally have one or the other. I suggest that you get mostly egg layers and one duck of a breed that is known for going broody and allow the 1 duck to do all the hatching. Or get one Silkie chicken to do the hatching.

Best egg layers are Khaki Campbell, Runner, Welsh Harlequin, Golden 300. None of those are famous for going broody.

4. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    thanks for the replies. Actually, broodiness and foraging ability are on the top of my list.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by