I THINK I WENT To FAST!!!

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by Le Mitzer, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Le Mitzer

Le Mitzer Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Provence
    SO i just ordered two red legged partridge, and they will arrive thursday, and i was going to put them with my quail until i can make then a proper home. but it just dawned on me IS THIS ALLOWED!!!!! will everyone get along? or will the Partridge kill my cute little Quails. should i put them some where else????

Please Help

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Yes, you should put them elsewhere-quarantine them for 30 days to make sure they are healthy with no hidden issues. You should never stick birds together like that-your looking for trouble with fighting and such.

3. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    Quote:Yes Quarantine and do not put wirh Quail .It will be slaughter house no quail will survive..So X-2 CVA34

4. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    How old are the partridge and how old are the quail? I think that is important also.

5. Le Mitzer

Le Mitzer Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Provence
    Ok so I know I have to build an aviary, I was thinking 2 meters by 3 meters. And over 2 meters high. I have four quail, I got them this Oct. And they hadn't started to lay yet at that time. So maybe 16 weeks. There are four females. Ps I still have no eggs from the quail. But they have just Finnished their molt. And the red legged partridges arrive tomorrow and I think the are around 3 months. But to tell you the truth, I have no idea. But I bought them on the Internet from a farm in the north of France, that have the highest rating and are well know to have the most purest of breeds. I payed 28 euro for two, a male and female. They didnot say the age. By they sell their chickens at 3 months old. So I'm Assuming ( which I know can be dangerous) that the PArtrigdes are the same age.

So if they have enough room can I put quail and partridge together. After the quartine process, of course.

6. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    even with enough space I wouldn't put them together. Partridges in general are nasty to anything other than their own(and there they are nasty 80% of the time too). I have red leggeds and they are very picky with what they share penspace with. My reeves pheasants and peafowl were the only ones that they can live in peace with I have found so far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by