I think i will need to seperate the broodies...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nuttyredhead, Jan 19, 2011.

1. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    All the rest of my girls seem to want to lay in the nests where my broodies are! I noticed one in trying to get to the eggs under the broody... I havent quite figuered out how to work the waterer, I only have one heated base. Maybe i will buy 2 smaller waterers so I can just keep switching them out.

I am going to set it up tomorrow!

2. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    What you want to do is, Seperate the broodies from the non-broodies

Then you could either have the 2 broodies work together in a privite area away from the flock, Or you could have each broody in there own little area. You Should seperate the broodies from the flock because
    - the hens could push your broody out of the nesting box and take it
    - hens could lay eggs on top of her to where she has eggs in all different stage development ( I think its called a scattered hatch I dont remember)
    - Id get the broodies out of the nesting box because its commenly known for the broody to get up to poop eat drink etc, and when done get in the wrong nesting box.

I think its best to either have there own area or work together, and just change their water a few times a day, Broodies usually only get up once a day to do there " broody buisness so it should be ok it they dont have the heated waterer, just make sure to change there water more often"

I hope this helps [​IMG]

good luck

3. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Quote:It sure does, thanks happyhens44!!! [​IMG]

4. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Haha How did it go with the broodies? [​IMG]