1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think if you stare hard enough

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by brennant, Sep 17, 2009.

1. brennant

brennant Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Tacoma WA
    You can watch the feathers sprout and grow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. texasbartrambaby

texasbartrambaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Tulia, Texas
    [​IMG]

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I know what you mean! I've got some 12-day olds that I SWEAR double in size each night!

4. brennant

Aug 17, 2009
    Tacoma WA
    The top one immediately jumps on my hand if I have it in the brooder. Then begins to roost. [​IMG]

Each day they seem to have new feathers someplace. It is amazing how ol' nature works!

5. rileysgranny

rileysgranny Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2008
    Tennessee, USA
    Is that feathers on the feet of the one in the first pic? They sure are cute!

6. brennant

Aug 17, 2009
    Tacoma WA
    Quote:Just dark coloring on the foot. She's an australorp. She is the most gentle and quiet of the bunch.

7. Stop dusting your chicks witht that magic dust. [​IMG]

8. Kriquet

Kriquet Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2009
    Kansas City
    Quote:Don't you just LOVE australorps?! My baby is quiet and lovable - she hops right into my hand while the wyandottes (aka - velociraptors) would rather peck at me to make sure I'm not hiding a treat! LOL![​IMG]

9. brennant

Aug 17, 2009
    Tacoma WA
    Quote:Don't you just LOVE australorps?! My baby is quiet and lovable - she hops right into my hand while the wyandottes (aka - velociraptors) would rather peck at me to make sure I'm not hiding a treat! LOL![​IMG]

I hope so. One of the BOs is starting to warm up to me. I just want enough cooperation to handle them when they need care. So far, the Australorp and one BO are really happy to jump in my hand.

10. Kriquet

Kriquet Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2009
    Kansas City
    Quote:Mealworms are what clinched it for my babies! Just pick them up and hold a mealworm in front of them and wait for them to give it the "ole one-eye" and before you know it they're hooked! If you can get one to warm up - others will probably follow. I've read other posts that say the standoffish hens actually came around after they started laying...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by