I think I'm crazy!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dennarahl, Jan 27, 2012.

1. dennarahl

dennarahl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2012
    Colorado
    So, we just got our first order or chicks this morning and I'm obsessed. We have 10 Ameraucana/EEs and 10 unknowns. We ordered from ideal and assumed we:D'd get packing peanuts that would ultimately be dinners. We haven't finished the coop or chicken run yet. I haven't got any clue what we're going to do with all the extra eggs, but I know there will be plenty once we get there. The hubby and I are both scared that we'll be traumatized by the slaughter of the dinner birds, thankfully we've got some friends who will help.

With all that, I want more. And I want geese too.... I think I'm in trouble. I think the chicken math is going to kick in.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    First of all, you'll easily find a use for the eggs. Fried, poached, quiche, fritatas, egg drop soup, mayonaise, baking, etc.. And you'll eat more when you have delicious fresh eggs in your backyard.

The boys you take will have a good albeit short life at your place rather than being killed at birth.

They'll taste good. Enjoy real life!

3. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    Naw not crazy. Chickens are fun and cute and fluffy and well addicting.
    I do not think the extra eggs will be a problem. [​IMG]

I am getting 49 eggs a week now and we use all of them. There is a waiting list of people wanting to buy eggs from us as well. [​IMG]

Before I had my chickens we used MAYBE a dozen in a week.
    Fresh eggs are so much better.

OH and I am waiting for pics. [​IMG]

AND [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  4. jlovelady

jlovelady Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2012
    Do you have kids? Do you plan on having kids? I sell the eggs and put them in the "kid fund". It gives the kids some spending money, contributes to school clothes/supplies. It adds up over time and you can always reinvest in feed. If you can't sell them you will find plenty of people that will take them off your hands lol

5. dennarahl

Jan 25, 2012
    Colorado
    I do have kids, and they love eggs thankfully. I'll have to look into selling them. I never thought of that.

Here's pictures of all my babies:
    [​IMG]

Sleeping babies:
    [​IMG]

One of the packing peanuts that i have no idea what it is:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one is lighter than all the packing peanuts and the Ameraucanas, count wise I think it's an Ameraucana
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. jlovelady

jlovelady Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2012
    Cute chicks!! I love getting the baby chicks in, but more than that I love watching the kids eyes light up when they see them and get to watch them grow. My boys sell eggs to their teachers and coaches. The little entrepreneurs are getting $4 a dozen while everyone else is selling for 2.50 lol. I love knowing that one day my grandchildren are going to be right there with us dipping beaks like I was doing with my pa! Its all about tradition!

7. kdmp7244@aol.com

[email protected] Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    Wilmington, Ma
    Your chicks are cute! My son loves seeing the chicks just as much as I do. Everyone is calling me the crazy chicken girl! Because I am always talking about them ...

8. DNCXmom

DNCXmom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2012
    Northern Califorina
    My first order will be coming Feb 10th :D We also ordered 10 Amerauconas, and 15 others. 5 of which are Blue Silkies for me :D I also have 20 Rode Island Reds in a incubator due Feb 5th All looking great. I am also feeling obsessed. I don't have any chickens and I am part of a chicken group! :D My husband and I built a HUGE brooder together in preparation for the large amount of chicks all at once. Hope you really enjoy your chicks! I hope I get a packing peanut. It would be fun to guess what it was. I am also worried about how I will react to some of ours being dinner someday. I have cleaned chickens when i was younger..but after having children I find that I have gone soft.

9. dennarahl

Jan 25, 2012
    Colorado
    I think having kids made me more able to handle chickens for dinner. I know when I was younger, my opinion was no way no how would I ever be involved with it. So far, everything is good with the chickies. I love watching them play. I had them in a tupperware tub, but didn't feel it was big enough. So I taped a whole bunch of boxes together with doorways that connected them, and boy do they have fun with that. It's like they are holding races. :)

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:
    Ah, yes, the "Zoomies." I love it when chicks get the zoomies and race around at top speed!

Since you are starting with chicks, let me offer my traditional warnings to new chick keepers:

When you look in the brooder and they are all dead, do not have a heart attack yet. Tap the side of the brooder first - the chicks will wake up. They just fall asleep like that. Sometimes on their backs, or with their heads across stuff in the brooder (like laying their heads on the chopping block). They DO look dead, but they're just asleep.

When you pick up a chick and feel a tumor on its neck, do not panic then, either. That's a full crop. The chicks are piggies and will stuff themselves. That crop will empty over night and be all normal again in the morning. Not tumors. Whew!

When you see one or another chick on its side, kicking and twitching, it is NOT having a seizure. It may even flap its wings and roll over onto its other side to do it some more. This is dust bathing behavior in the brooder bedding. Perfectly normal. And very silly looking once you know what it is, which is NOT a seizure. Trust me.

And a bonus, fourth warning: You will fall in love with them. This will not change even when they grow up into chickens and start to lay eggs. You will love them more. And I bet you will do a great big dance and run excitedly into the house, screaming with delight when the first one lays her first egg.

Welcome to the wonderful world of keeping chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by