I think I'm drownin my chick?

cookfor4

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 9, 2008
One of the 3 week old chicks was really letharic, and I thought was dehydrated, so I was giving it some water with a teaspoon held up to its beak. It just kept getting worse where the other one was doing so much better. I have been holding it, and noticed that there is a fluid sac under it's neck. When I carefully pressed a little water came out it's mouth! Am I drowning it? How do I fix it? She's still breathing, but very sleepy, and won't get up....

I don't know if you were pressing on her crop, but it's very possible. Is she eating??? That may have something to do with it. Maybe someone knows approximately how much (per drops from a dropper) to give a baby chick, cause they don't drink that much water. Their little beaks can't hold that much. it would be terrible if you were over watering her!!!! Have you tried giving her a few drops of poly-vis-il???

well, Im very new to any of this, Now I do think it was her crop, she isn't eating, all she is doing is sleeping. I've had REALLY bad luck with these chicks. I started out with 17 and I'm down to 12.
sad.png
I feel like giving up! I'm so sad. She is moving and breathing, but very lethargic. I just buried two this morning, I can't handle doing another.
What do I do if I don't have any poly stuff? Where would I get some?

Don't be so hard on yourself, sweetie! Stuff like this happens. I thought I killed mine with grit when they were too young. Sometimes we have a hard learning curve. You're not the only one that has done something that wasn't quite right. You were only trying to help her. I'll get someone with more experience to chime in here.
hugs.gif

Poly-Vi-Sol is a liquid baby vitamin/supplement made by Enfamil. You can buy it anywhere baby products are sold. Give the chick a couple of drops on side of beak a couple of times a day. It needs to eat something as well. Try scrambled egg. If it won't eat - try raw egg yolk also dribbled on beak till it swallows. You can also try wetting some chick crumbles to make it easier to eat. If the crop is full and squishy and water is coming out of mouth, it has too much water and doesn't need anymore but it does need the vitamins and food.

You should only dribble liquids at the side of the beak, like said above.
If you are just holding a spoon of water tot he beak and are not pouring it in the mouth you are fine.
Please don't press on the crop, because by making fluid come up, you can aspirate the chick. Sometimes they just fail to thrive and there is nothing you can do.

If it is hot where you are, make sure they are int he shade and don't handle them too much. Make sure the waterers are filled at all times with fresh cool water and they have thier feed available. At three weeks, they are old enough for a small slice of watermelon as a cooling treat.

Good luck and keep us posted!
smile.png

*edited to comment on the pic....
Make sure they are not eating poop . I see the one standing in the feeder. Also, make sure the bedding is not moldy underneath where you can't see it. Aspergilliosis is a bad thing and starts with moldy damp bedding.

Oh Ok! I know what you mean now! I will run out now and get some. She is the red one above on the right. I have 9 more out in the coop that seem to all be doing alright. It just seems like they are all dying. My friend and I both bought some and her's are fine, so i'm doing something wrong. I feed and water 3-4 times a day, and I have 2 full grown egg layers, and 4 other chicks I raised, and 2 roosters I raised, but I have NEVER had this much trouble. I feel pretty rotten! The yellow also was acting the same way, but is eating now, and drinking, but still seems lethargic. It is very hot and humid here also.
THANKS for your help!

How do I get them to not stand on the feed? They won't stop, no matter what. I had the lid on the feeder, but that seemed to make it worse. My others do that too. I'd love to make them quit.

Back
Top Bottom