I Think Im going Egg Crazy!(PIC HEAVY)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Goat_Walker, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Well my 8 month old buff started laying on the 31st, her mate is an 8 month old mallard, s far we have 6 eggs. Im not expecting them to hatch since it is her first time, but i cant help but get excited that she is actually laying them! I just cant help jump for joy!
    But of course, when I jump, the goats do too, lol.

I have a quick couple of questions that my mom wanted to know as well as I am interested in.I know I could go to google for it, but when I ask here it is easier for me to understand [​IMG]

1. My buff female decded to make her nest inside the goat kennel, the goats stay out, but im worried becuase they like to jump on top alot and that may shake the kennel. Will this upset the eggs and cause them to go bad? I am trying to stay a little optimistic and say that they MIGHT hatch. Will the eggs be upset with the goats jumping up and down on top of it? The kennel is large and so only moves slightly, but still.

This next one yall might think is kind of gross, but oh well, im asking

2. When I told my mom about the eggs she asked if they were wet. U said I wasnt sure becuase I didnt want to disturb the mama. Now, When an egg comes out, is it wet? ( I know that it wont be dry when it comes out but I just need more detail to explain to my mother).

3. How do the eggs form? I know they have an egg every 24-25 hours? but does that mean that a new egg forms a day? or what?

Thats all my questions for now [​IMG] All answers will be appriciated xD

Now, FOR THE PICS!!!( I apologize for them being so large)

Moma! My buff [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The dad, Mallard.

[​IMG]

Together

[​IMG]

The uncle, Domestic bibbed mallard

[​IMG]

The two jumpers, (Pure pygmy and pygmy cross)

[​IMG]

( Cry Baby, the cross, Ontop of where my buff's nest is)

[​IMG]

And now... The eggs!!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    awh i wish icould see the pictures better most are cut off cuz they seem too big for the message post. [​IMG]

3. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    oh darn lol nevermind tehy werent done loading yet, now i see em! Awesome it would be great if they do hatch for ya! Sorry I cant be of help with the goats jumping on the thing...I think it'd be okay as long as they dont scare mama out...or go in and bump the eggs with their hooves or step on them.

4. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Thanks! Momma can fend for herself, believe me. She may be petite but she sure is a firecracker when it comes to getting her way. The goats stay out of there luckily [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by