I think I'm going to set eggs tonight- 11/3/11

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sphinx, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I hadn't planned on setting any eggs til February or so, but tragedy struck today.

Something got into my run today and killed 7 of my 9 chickens. My run was completely enclosed except for an 18" gap on the top at one end of the run. I'd had a large board over it, but it was on the ground, so it either blew off or got knocked off. Who knows. Because of the small space and suburban setting, I'm guessing it was possibly raccoons? My neighbor who helped me bury my chickens talked to another neighbor who saw 4 raccoons a couple days ago.

The carnage continued with my neighbor- she lost 12 of her 18 chickens, and a couple more are injured. We're going to set some live traps and hopefully catch whatever got the chickens.

Anyway, I have a dozen eggs from my girls, and I think I'm going to pick the 7 prettiest and start them to hatching tonight. I figure by the time they go outside, we'll have caught whatever killed their parents, and I'll have fixed that gap in my security.

Edited to add a picture of the eggs I selected to incubate.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2011
  2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    So sorry for your loss! Hope you get those varmints and do them in. I set 30 eggs tonight, so we can hatch together. Hatch on!:)

3. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

We also set eggs this morning.....so sorry for your loss....

4. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Oh no, so sorry to hear about your loss and that of your neighbor [​IMG] Hopefully you get the critters responsible.

At least I don't feel so bad now. I just finished doing a manual turn of two eggs I can't quite decide which end is the pointy end on (darn flashlight died on me so I can't candle to see) and have the rest of the batch in the turner that went into what my hubby now calls the StyroBroody. I think they will make a nice addition to the rest of the family that shows up here Thanksgiving weekend.

I can see it now... "Yes, so the rolls are a little crispy and the taters aren't quite done. Big whoop. I had babies to play with!!" [​IMG]

Even more fun, Ideal has me scheduled for a ship date of the 16th. Hehehe, hubby is gonna [​IMG] with all this cheeping and chirping.

5. begbfg

begbfg Barnyard Beckie

Feb 11, 2011
    Roxboro, NC
    Set 7 eggs last night; I just had to since my "broody" ditched her eggs two weeks into setting. [​IMG] This is my first time with an incubator so wish me luck! [​IMG]

6. begbfg

begbfg Barnyard Beckie

Feb 11, 2011
    Roxboro, NC
    PrincessChicken, I hope you get your "bandits!" I'm sorry to hear about your girls. We've had a lot of foxes around here the past couple of months. They've been chasing the rabbits and leaving the chickens alone....so far. Maxine, our dog, chases every animal out of the yard so I'm hoping that will keep them deterred.

7. OldChurchEggery1

OldChurchEggery1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Virginia
    Quote:Last summer (2010) we had a horrible heat wave and lost 13 chickens in one day when the temperature got up to 103. I had a broody hen setting on eggs and was afraid she was going to roast, so I took her eggs and put them in an incubator. A few days before they were due to hatch, another of my hens went broody so I slipped the 3 developed eggs under her. She hatched them and was a great mom! You might luck out and find someone in your coop to do those last few days for you. Good luck!

To the original poster- sorry for your losses. We shot a coon on Halloween night. Once they find a ready source of food, they'll tear through wire, squeeze through spaces you'd think were too small and tear up bird after bird. This one had discovered a loose spot in the run wire about the size of a coffee mug and killing chickens in the early morning after I'd leave for work. If you have any of the carcasses still around, you can bait it back in and then exterminate. Good luck with your hatch to replenish your flock.

8. Sphinx

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Thanks so much for your condolences. I hear stories here all the time of predators getting chickens, but I'd had mine for almost 2 years with no incidents, and I got complacent. I forgot about that gap in my coop, and I'd been feeling smug, like my chickens were safe because they were totally enclosed. My neighbor and I are both picking up live traps in the next day or so, and hopefully we'll catch the critters.

My incubator is broken- it's a mini brinsea advance and the turning motor had seized. I'd been meaning to send it back for warranty work for a couple of weeks. I even had it boxed up and on my list of errands yesterday. Glad I hadn't actually mailed it off. So, I'll have to manually turn it. I'm not waking up in the night to do it, so I'm hoping they'll be ok being in one spot for a few hours.

Anyway, I'm really glad that I have hatching buddies- it's much funner this way, I think.

What are you all hatching?

All seven of mine came from EE mothers and a black copper marans father. I think I have 3 EE represented, since I have a blue egg, an olive type egg, and then a lighter green egg.

9. leghornlover@123

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2011
    Santa Fe, Nm
    im hatching leghorns i set eggs yesterday

10. Sphinx

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Are they brown leghorns or white?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by