1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think I'm ready

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by feather and mountain man, Jan 25, 2011.

1. feather and mountain man

feather and mountain man Corn fed Indiana farmgirl

Jan 17, 2010
    Got the starter feed
    Got the brooder light hung
    Got the my broody tub all ready
    feed and water bowls
    corncob bedding
    I can't wait until 2/2

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Congratulations! I always like to hear from people who are preparing ahead of time and thinking it all through. Far better than the posts that start out "I just picked up 50 chicks. What now?"

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Ain't that the truth!

You might want an inexpensive thermometer, and to turn the light on and see what it warms up to in there. (Of course the chicks will add their own heat.) You'll probably want a way to raise the light as they grow; I had to improvise this when I suddenly figured out they were too hot. It's so easy to overheat them; gives you a baseline.

4. feather and mountain man

Jan 17, 2010
    Yeah I learned a lot last year. I have the light on a retractable rope, since I live in Indiana I have to adjust it to the current temp which changes contantly here. Plus the chicks have the option of how close to the light that they want to be. If they get to hot they move away from the light. Plus I keep the water away from the direct heat of the light unless the temp drops to cold. They are in the work shop which has a wood stove that can be lit for added warmth if needed. I already have the thermometer in place. Just eagerly wating now. Gonna call the post office to let them know they are on the way and to give me a call when they arive. I love living in a small town where I am on a first name basis with the postal workers.

5. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Amen!

6. feather and mountain man

Jan 17, 2010
    Can't wait to get my Spangled Russian Orloff rooster. and my moms mothers day pressents 10 Easter Egg hen and 1 roo

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Sounds like you forgot 2 things..................a comfy chair parked right next to the brooder, cuz you'll be there for HOURS and a camera!

Congrats!

8. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    How exciting -- the nursery's all ready, just waiting for the big day! Lucky mom, too!

9. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Congrats! Be sure to post some pics when they arrive!

10. 14chickmama

14chickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Good luck!! I'm getting my chicks march 3rd. I can't wait but were still getting ready. My husband is building the coop as I type!! He's in the basement building the nesting boxes right now!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by