I THINK I'M TOTALLY GOING TO LOSE IT!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by natalie1136, Jan 29, 2009.

1. natalie1136

natalie1136 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    Dennison Illinois
    I am having the hardest time waiting on these eggs to hatch!! We are hearing cheeping and some of the eggs are rocking. I feel like i could run a marathon. How in the world do you all stay calm and collected. I am leaving the bator shut but it is so hard. I have two bators running and they are 2 days apart. That means i have awhile of this.

Natalie:eek::weee:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  2. Katie Jo

Katie Jo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Wadsworth, Ohio
    Well, I sure as heck can't stay calm and collected. I could barely sleep last night...everytime I heard a PEEP I ran to the bator to see if something happened. My hubby thought I was nuts! This morning when two of mine hatched, I called everyone I knew to tell them I was a chickie mama!!!

3. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Hang in there Natalie! You'll make it. Keep me posted.... after all some of them will be my grandchicks! [​IMG]

4. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    go to the store and spend money, that is what i do and when i get back they are here. as long as you watch the bator it will take forever for them to hatch. good luck william

5. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I have a question... where does this "urge" to open the bator come from when the chicks are hatching?? there is a PROCEDURE to follow, normally.. step 3 is do not open the bator during the last days while the chicks are hatching..

what purpose is there in opening the bator?? (other than killing at least half of your eggs).??

when their cake recipe says do not open the oven for 35 minutes, I will
    bet those same people will ....

6. natalie1136

Jan 5, 2009
    Dennison Illinois
    since i first posted i have had two pip. I am a little concerned though because they piped on the side of the egg. I've never done this before. Is it normal.

I will keep you posted chic-n-farmer on of them is one of the bantams

7. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:there is no such thing as normal when it comes to chickens..[​IMG]

they can pip anywhere,, once they have pipped, they are getting air from outside the egg.. now they are going to finish developing, and continue growing.. they do not crawl, or pop out of the shell, they grow out of the shell.

8. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    it can take up to 48 hours from the time they break the shell to the time they are out, this is when they are taking the yolk in,( this is what they live on till all have hatched) after they get out of the shell, they can live in the bator for 48 hours without food or water . good luck william

9. natalie1136

Jan 5, 2009
    Dennison Illinois
    Thank you all so much. I feel better knowing that. Can't wait until they start hatching. This is only day 19 thought. The bator has been at 99.3-99.9 . I didn't think that was to hot to cause them to hatch early. I have read everything i could get a hold of to learn how to do this, but there are so many variables involved.

I'll keep you all posted!!

Natalie:;

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  10. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Wow, we're both in the same spot! I'm on day 19 with my 7 eggs. Two have pipped and the other 5... nothing yet.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=120124

Coolest thing hearing the peeping next to my desk! I hope to see the others pip soon!

Good luck with your hatch! Fortunately you have about 5,000 posts a day on BYC to give you something to do!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by