I think it’s a prolapse?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 4and20blackbrds, May 24, 2019.

1. 4and20blackbrds

4and20blackbrds Chirping

Jul 7, 2014
    I’ve notice for awhile that after my 13w old Barnevelder poops, she stands in place and kinda strains afterwards.

I googled and looked at her vent, but didn’t see anything wrong, so figured that she was just odd. Today however, my son happened to be slightly underneath her when she pooped and saw “something sticking out of her butt”. And sure enough, when she poops, there’s a little red bump that comes out and goes back in when she’s done.

Since she’s only 13 weeks, she’s not laying, so I don’t what could’ve caused it. And I definitely don’t know what to do to help her feel better. She’s still eating and drinking fine.

cottagecheese likes this.
  2. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Crowing

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds like she may be straining to poop, but her cloaca is probably popping out just for a split second. This happens also in many hens when they are older and laying an egg. What are her droppings looking like? Is there any straw or long grasses seen in her droppings? Does she have granite grit for her age available all the time? What do you feed her? You could try giving her some refrigerated coconut oil chopped into small pieces—1 tsp, to see if it helps her poop. I have also used 1 tsp of mineral oil mixed into a little egg or wet feed.

Henriettamom919 likes this.
  4. 4and20blackbrds

4and20blackbrds Chirping

Jul 7, 2014
    She’s not slimy or smelly. Her vent and butt fluff look normal... unless she’s actively pooping. Well, her fluff is fine either way lol.

5. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Crowing

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    Probably just strain, then. @Eggcessive is wise about these matters so I bet her suggestions will help!

Good luck! I hope it's a simple fix! :hugs

Eggcessive likes this.
  6. 4and20blackbrds

4and20blackbrds Chirping

Jul 7, 2014
    Yes, there’s a cup of crushed granite available at all times. I haven’t seen any long grass in her poop, and it otherwise looks normal (sometimes there’s a lot, sometimes just a little. But our buff Orpington does the same thing). They’re all fed the same thing, Purina non-medicated start and grow crumble (I switched them from medicated at ~9 weeks over a ~2 week long period). They also free range a few times a week... we have hawks and I like to be outside to keep on eye on them.

I’ll see if we have any coconut oil. And if she’ll eat it. She’s a bit of a prima-donna. Lol

7. cottagecheese

cottagecheese Songster

Mar 12, 2019
    She's probably predisposed to it, it can be caused by vit A deficiency, calcium deficiency, selenium deficiency - all of these are important for the proper contraction of the muscles of the cloaca. You say no constipation, right? At this age, it's usually constipation. In layers, it's being too thin OR too fat , plus for everyone diet deficiencies and predisposition (or egg too big for layers).
    I recommend coconut oil (cold pressed, unrefined) but at the other end LOL, if you think she's not constipated, because it's anti-inflammatory and antibacterial, plus oily and soothing :).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: