I Think It Is A Duck!! NEW PICS

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by turningchicken, Jun 13, 2011.

1. turningchicken

turningchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    SUch a silly question since I have successfully hatched several chickens, but....I found an egg..think it is a duck egg...that was laid in a ditch. Have incubated ..candled..and all seems fine. BUT, today was the 28th day and nothing. Stopped turning after day 25. No signs of life so I put the egg in a cup of blood temperature water and it kicked. Should it be ok or does it need help. His name is LUCKY DUCK if he makes it.
    Patsy

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  2. floridachickhatcher

floridachickhatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    give him time i mean they are suppose to hatch on day 28 he could just be a day over due may depend on the breed of duck he/she is

3. llaaadyel

llaaadyel Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Lower NY
    I don't worry with ducks until day 31 at least. Its all about temperatures, if they are too low it takes a few extra days.

4. turningchicken

Jun 8, 2010
    Thanks so much. Just feel close to the little thing since I found it like I did. Never thought it would get this far. Have kept temp like I did with regular chicken eggs. It is staying between 99.5 and 100 and humidity is around 75 to 78. Will that do?

5. floridachickhatcher

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    i think if i hatched out a duck or goose egg i found my mom would freak lol we would give it to the man down the street since he has white geese

6. turningchicken

Jun 8, 2010
    HADN'T THOUGHT ABOUT A GOOSE!! Sure hope whatever it is that it is healthy!! Don't know what I'll do with a duck, though!!

7. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    One thing I've learned is eggs never hatch on exactly THE day. I had a hatch start early and end late over 4-5 days. Last hatch started early and I was ready to call it but then the day after 21 two more chicks hatched.

I've never heard of the water thing. Seems like a good way to drown a chick/duckling. Why not just candle?

Hope all goes well

rancher

8. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Some duck breeds have an average incubation period of 35 days.

9. floridachickhatcher

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    Quote:yeah she would not want a goose you cant turn your back on them or they will bite your butt [​IMG] and with a duck i would think the same if its a mean breed my mom would run out with the shotgun lol if it bit her [​IMG]

10. floridachickhatcher

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    do you have a pic of the egg? my mom says she thinks the olive green eggs are mallards ^_^ if he is you can name him Daffy Duck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by