I think it is time to give up hope..input please

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jarsheart, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Jarsheart

Jarsheart Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    Discovered 5 fertile eggs in my silkie hen's nest on 6/15. Figured them to be 1 week or less. I marked these eggs with the date. Exactly two weeks later, two eggs hatched. One day later, my hen left the nest, but sat on it at night. The following day, I put the eggs in my incubator. I candled them, thought two were moving. Well, here I am today, and they still have not hatched. Even if they were day one eggs (which they were not) they should have hatched on Tuesday. I do not detect movement, and I do not detect odor. The hen house was 93*F when they were left alone that *one* day. I am so sad that it appears that I did not save them. Is it time for me to accept that they will not hatch and remove them from the incubator ? I am in denial, please help. Thanks.

2. dsowens15

dsowens15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Winchester, TN
    I don't think they will hatch but one more day wouldn't hurt.

3. crossedwires

crossedwires Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2010
    place them in a small bowl of water, wait for the water to settle and see if there is any ripples or vibration, this should give you a good idea if they are still viable

4. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Probably time to call it on them, imo. If you can't see wiggling or hear cheeping, in my experience they were lost along the way.

5. Jarsheart

Jun 27, 2010
    Well, I went ahead and opened them up. All dead. Perfect membranes. They all seemed to have died before full incubation. They *looked* like they were fully developed chicks until I examined their rear ends, not all of the yolk was absorbed, and their bottoms were not closed up. One had more yolk absorbed than the others and had a membrane pip. I did not take pictures, and in fact I was just going to bury them without opening them. I am sad, but I have some closure knowing their outcome. We buried them together in our yard. I will do some research to see an approximate age. Thanks for the advice and support. This is a great place.

6. Jarsheart

Jun 27, 2010
    Quote:I just watched your YouTube video, and that is EXACTLY how mine looked, the beaks were in the same place. Was the chick a silkie ? What causes this ? And a million thanks for that video.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by