I think it may be time for a change

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by goldeneggtees, Mar 31, 2011.

1. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Today, when I called the ladies for their treat, guess what came running to me? A RAT! That's right! A RAT! Can you believe that? Crazy, I know but I kid you not! [​IMG]

2. llaaadyel

llaaadyel Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Lower NY
    Sounds like it is time for rat traps. I hate rats.

2 years ago I had a couple of them going for the feed under my wild bird food feeders. DH caught one and I had to stop feeding the birds for a month to make sure the other didn't come back with friends. All of our feed is kept in metal bins locked up tight and feeders come off the ground and are locked up in the coop at night to discourage them from discovering the feed. So far its working.

llaady

3. goldeneggtees

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    I've done it all and tried it all, yet still they exist and continue to proliferate. UGH! UGH! UGH!

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:[​IMG] Got them trained too eh? LOL.

5. goldeneggtees

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Can you believe it?

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

Yes, I absolutely believe you! I've read alot of crazy stuff in these forums over the years:lol:

7. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Maybe time for a kitty cat. (or 2 or 3 ).[​IMG]

8. goldeneggtees

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Yes, believe me, I have thought about it. The only thing is, I don't want a cat inside the house and I know I'm a softy and the first time the cat comes to my back door, it'll be let in. We have 2 dogs already and 14 chickens. I'm not sure I'm up to the responsibility another animal will bring. [​IMG]

9. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yikes! I don't know what you need, but you need something! [​IMG]

There have been a lot of good suggestions on the previous rat threads, though. I know it sounds mean, but some people use the Rat Zapper. You can also trap or poison. Since yours come when you call them, I guess you could also just shoot them in your case. [​IMG]

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Kinda like the pied piper:lau
    Seriously though, rats harbor diseases and parasites. You have every right to be concerned as I would. When all your animals are up for the night, I recommend setting out several rat traps with some cheese on them as bait. I havnt seen a rat yet that couldnt resist a piece of cheese....mmmmm, the smell to their nose! Irresistable! Make sure you remove the traps the next morning before you let your animals out. You dont want your dogs or chickens around the traps nor eating on a dead rat. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by