I think it's a he

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Stephan222, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Stephan222

Stephan222 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2010
    I have 5 chickens 17 weeks old all bought as day old sexed hens .One of them is a lot larger full bright red comb very bold in nature .Almost aggressive .The rest of the birds are passive calm smaller in size smaller combs .Today when I opened the coop to water the bird in ? Was Air crowing meaning No noise but going through the motions . Any opinions

2. austin.ray22

austin.ray22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Cullman
    Do you have a photo of the suspect?

3. Jacklynn

Jacklynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like a roo to me... pics please ! [​IMG]

4. Stephan222

Dec 28, 2010
    I'll have to post one Ive had a strong suspision for awhile . It's to bad cause this chicken has a great personality but if she is a he
    I can't keep him . I live in a neighborhood .

5. Stephan222

Dec 28, 2010
    By the way the breed is a Australorp

6. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    By 17 weeks your Australorp cockerels should really be showing as boys and looking quite different from your pullets.
    [​IMG]
    Here is one at 18 weeks for your comparison if you are unable to submit a photo.
    Hope it helps.
    My girls started getting quite red in the comb at about that age but did not lay for another 5 or 6 weeks. The crowing actions sound suspect though.

7. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    I have a Speckled sussex who went through the crowing motions - - - I couldn't tell if it was a he or she, if it was sick, or what. . .
    I had a friend come over and watched the crazy bird do the crowing and said - yep it is a roo.

The roo has since laid an egg [​IMG] She doesn't do the crowing stuff anymore. That stopped when she got mature enough for our roo to mount her. She is very out going and I don't know if she was trying to be a alpha hen or what - - - but she is normal now!

It was strange [​IMG] and has NEVER happened with any of my other birds [​IMG]

8. Stephan222

Dec 28, 2010
    My other Australorp hens are not even close to size and they aren't even close in comparison in comb size

9. Stephan222

Dec 28, 2010
    For what reason would a chicken mock crow if it was Sick .

10. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:that is a VERY good indicator that she is a HE. .. .. You might want to hold onto him as long as possible. He could do some mating for you and then you could hatch out a batch of australorp chicks for next year . . . .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by