1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think it's a Polish...?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jholler, Apr 9, 2009.

1. jholler

jholler Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Jonesboro, AR
    I guess you could call this one a "rescue"...friend of mine's GF brought home a chick, then a week later decided that really wasn't what she wanted. It's a friendly little thing, loves to sit on the wife's shoulder! I'm thinking white crested black polish? Can you ID sex by color or anything?

[​IMG]

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Anybody have an idea? It's hard to tell from the head angle in the pic...

3. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    It looks Polish to me. Maybe it could use some company? [​IMG]

4. Shkittles

Shkittles Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd say it's a polish here's a pic of my polish named Batman.
    [​IMG]

5. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like a hatchery or low quality WCB Polish. I see only a tiny bit of a crest, but I think you've got it right. Large nostrils. (sp?) Cute peep! [​IMG]

6. jholler

Mar 24, 2009
    Jonesboro, AR
    It's got a pretty well-defined crest, just hard to tell from this angle. The friend's GF bought it at a chain store, so I wouldn't expect show quality or anything, but then I don't plan on showing chickens, so it's not a concern. It will have company, don't worry...as soon as it feathers out (and shows no signs of disease!), I will probably put it in with the easter eggers that are about 3 weeks ahead of it. My "mutt" chickens are full grown, and not real excited about new additions to their coop.

7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  8. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    thats a mottled houdan. i ordered 25 from a hatchery and kept.... 1. Sheesh. And the one i kept, hes a roo. [​IMG] and hes only about 1 1/2 months. Hes crowing. but he has alot of influence LOL

9. Shkittles

Shkittles Chillin' With My Peeps

I just looked on the feathersite page for Houdans and it says they have a fifth toe. so if it has a fifth toe i'd say it's a houdan, if it doesn't then polish!

hope this helps

!Shkittles!

10. jholler

Mar 24, 2009
    Jonesboro, AR
    After calling the wife and telling her to count the chicken's toes...we have a winner! Houdan it is! Thanks y'all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by