1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I think it's an impacted crop - am keen for help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicks Down Under, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Chicks Down Under

Chicks Down Under New Egg

Sep 12, 2010
    Aragon is a 3 year old Aracana

Three days ago she started stretching her neck and moving it quickly from side to side and yawning which she repeated every few minutes. She was otherwise behaving normally - scratching around, self feeding and pooing normally. Her crop was quite hard, though smaller than a golf ball, perhaps the size of a couple of big broad beans.

On reading extensively through BYC I dosed her on 3cc white wine 36 hours ago and massaged her crop and then continued to provide her with water but no food. Last night (24 hours later) she had a small bowl of applesauce - she self-feeded ok and her crop was no longer hard but somewhat larger in surface area though flatter and squishy - which I assumed was the applesauce. This morning her crop was flat and she self-feeded ok on yoghurt perhaps a tablespoon, but I've not seen her take any water. I've stopped the applesauce because on further reading last night I became aware of Sour Crop and I didn't want to be giving her sugar if that was likely to create further problems, though to this point she doesn't have sour breath.

She has had a number of poops - yesterday quite normal, then overnight there was a small pile of green solids with quite a bit of white water around it. And then this morning she expelled a rather explosive wet one - pretty much all green, not much density to it, quite a few air bubbles and then what looked like a really firm wad of phlegm about the size of a large pea.

She is all skin and bone, her breast bone sticks right out. Her belly is relatively plump and soft though there is a harder mass between her legs, slightly to the left - not sure if it is an egg or if it is the stuff from her crop making its way down. She is no longer moving her neck around from side to side or yawning.

I am relatively new to this - I originally bought my chooks with a neighbour who saw them as farm animals and he would cull when they got sick. He has gone OS and for me the remaining girls have become pets. Am keen to do whatever I can, and will take her to the vet if recommended though I have recently had intervention for another chook which I have since been told on BYC was an unnecessary intervention. I am still learning what and when an how to treat, and when to hand it over to a vet. I would like to save money where I can - I'd rather visit the vet when and if necessary rather than as a matter of course.

She has not been laying though we have just come into spring and her sister has been laying every day for about 10 days.

I would like to treat this at home if I can, though if you think I have done something wrong at this point and should take her to the vet I will... her poop this morning gave me a real fright and I am concerned that I have done something wrong. Given that she is so very skinny should I be feeding her more than yoghurt? In an hour or so I will try feeding her egg. And how often, how much should I feed her??... I am concerned about her weight but I don't want to overload her system. Does she need vitamin or mineral supplements and if so can I get them from the local pet store/ feed store or do I need them from a vet? And should I be providing her with grit even though she is on soft foods?

She is in the laundry on old towels and blankets tho generally in the chook house, chook run or free range in the garden. I have changed the chook house bedding to pine shavings from straw since I read that the straw can be a problem, and then last night I read that shavings can be a problem too!??? I also bough new grit a week or two ago - this time I bough a much courser grit - is there any chance that could have been the problem?

Any feedback on the treatment I have given her to date and any suggestions would be so gratefully appreciated!

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=3097930#p3097930

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=224315&p=2

These
    are links to a couple of threads about impacted crop that i keep in my bookmarks for reference.

If she is that skinny, then this has likely been going on for a while (it's easy to miss). Maybe her crop isn't entirely impacted but "slow." If it were me, i would get her drinking organic/unfiltered apple cider vinegar in her water, i would be massaging her crop and see if i can feel something specifically blocking the passage of the food through her digestive system, and i would start feeding her some boiled egg yolks mixed with water so that she can get nutrition that she can absorb while you're figuring out how to help her.

Also, if there is a lump like an egg, between her legs, i would give her a warm water bath and see if she is able to pass whatever is there.

I'm no expert on either one of these problems, and i am hoping someone else more knowledgeable will chime in, but i think this is a place to start.

Welcome to BYC. There are lots of really knowledgeable folks here. I hope your girl gets better very soon. [​IMG]

3. Chicks Down Under

Sep 12, 2010
    Thank you so much, and those links were fabulous - exactly what I was after regarding her diet for the next week! Her poop is now a bright lime green colour, small amounts almost like small pellets, and lots of clear fluid, which is a little thicker than water... is this something to be concerned about? I must admit I am hoping it is nothing to worry about - She is brighter this afternoon and eating yoghurt with garlic and oatmeal (I now know to process the oatmeal! oops!) and making quite a racket. I am so hoping she is on the mend... it has been a very stressful 4 days - I have thought of nothing else (except her sister who is sick too...). Thanks again

4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Hopefully, that is nothing to worry about. I would still give a thought to a warm bath to see if she has anything to pass from that lump in her abdomen.

5. Chicks Down Under

Sep 12, 2010
    Hey Punkin Peep, thanks again for all your help - Aragon is doing great, back with her sister in the coop after a 5 day stay in the laundry, although somewhat thin... she is being hand fed warm mash each morning before being allowed to roam the garden, just to make sure that she is getting enough nutrients.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by