I think it's blind

pennie1

Redneck Silkie
10 Years
Aug 17, 2009
Hiles
After waiting for a year for a white chick (my roo isn't too interested. I had to AI). Anyway, I finally get a few white eggs in the bator. Last week the power was out for 10 hours. Most of the eggs are still hatching (partridge). I FINALLY get a white one to hatch and it seemed fine at first. Well after watching it for about 36 hours I noticed that I could put my finger right up to its beak or pick it up and there was no startle reflex. If it gets separated from the others it will stand and scream at the side of the box. I had put a bunch of sandy dirt and grass in the box for them to eat and it will walk right into it. I have made it drink some water and made some scramble egg and yogurt and fed it that a little bit. It's not sure what to do. It isn't learning from the others.
I am willing to take the time with it and keep it as a house chicken, but does anyone have any other ideas?

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the info. I will follow that thread. If it were any other chick I would probably cull, but I have worked so hard to get at least 1 baby from the mom and dad that it will be worth the effort. If it has to live in a clothes basket in my kitchen with a stuffed animal for company, I will gladly do it.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom