I think it's chicken love

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by stonykill, Jan 7, 2011.

1. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    I have 38 chickens. Mainly Sumatra's, 7 RIR's, 1 Black Beauty, a Bantam Roo, and a few hybrids. 11 roosters total. Up until 4 days ago, the RIR's didn't want anything to do with the sumatra roosters. They would beat them up. An easy task as they are much larger than the Sumatra roo's. Anyway....4 days ago, one RIR escaped her pen and started hanging out with 1 Sumatra roo. He walked her around the property....as if to show her around. She escapes every day now to hang with him for a while. When I return her to her pen, he stays along side her outside her pen. Every morning now, he waits for her, atop her coop, crowing, until I let her out. It is really cute. A few pics....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

here he is serenading her this morning. When I let her out, she ran right out looking for him....
    [​IMG]

pretty darn cute if you ask me. Chicken love.............

2. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Aww! It's Romeo and Juliet - the chicken version [​IMG]

3. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Yep, those redheads are pretty captivating! Except my RIR roo, who had a thing for the blondes (Buff O's) in my flock!

4. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    that is too cute - you cant stop real love!!!!

5. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    Quote:lets face it. He has good taste. She is just beautiful!

6. Nat123

Nat123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2010
    Home Sweet Home
    That's just too sweet! [​IMG]

7. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    That's adorable! [​IMG]

8. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    [​IMG][​IMG]

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I think it's so very nifty when chickens form attachments. My dominant EE roo, Carl, has a favorite hen (and her back shows it), but he has a hen he adores: an EE named Rebecca, one of the original 8 raised with him from chicks. SHE can refuse his advances and he's respectful of her wishes. (But her eggs were fertile because one of them hatched into my first GrandChick which Buffy the BO hatched for them.) He will snuggle with Rebecca, dust bathe with her, they clean each other's faces, etc. He forages with his favorites, and the only time Rebecca wasn't present in that group was when she was molting.

Their daughter Samantha is nearly the spitting image of Rebecca, but LARGER. Carl is a large rooster. She's now laying some lovely sea-foam green eggs, too. But she stays away from Carl.

But I digress. Chicken love is adorable. Your story was delightful to read and I so enjoyed the photos! Thanks for sharing.

10. Alycia

Alycia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    So sweet! [​IMG] They make a handsome couple.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by